Life Time Fitness

www.lifetimefitness.com
There are newer employer reviews for Life Time Fitness

All that matters is the money you bring in, not how much you actually help the members.

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Algonquin, IL
Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Algonquin, IL

I worked at Life Time Fitness full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Flexible schedule as a trainer for the most part. (You have shifts, but as a commissioned employee they can't make you work specific hours.)
- Good way to learn the basics of being a trainer: Client management, programming, and sales/marketing yourself as a trainer.
- Time you spend with your clients is amazing, you actually do make a difference in their lives and you get to see some amazing transformations as well.

Cons

- It doesn't matter how well your clients do in reaching their fitness goals, if they don't sign up for more sessions every month, the company doesn't care.
- You spend hours everyday and week having "meetings" where management berates you for not hitting sales goals.
- Even if you hit goals, there's always a service/product of the month they make you push on every client whether it's right for the client or not.
- Level of education among trainers is hit or miss. If you see a trainer teaching something wrong, you're not supposed to help their clients.
- Too much politics/high school-esque drama/cliques. You're either in the popular crowd or you're on the outside and you get no help and have to fend for yourself.
- Completely commission based job, if you don't sell anything - you don't make any money.
- You work all day, every day when you're trying to make sales/get clients - splits shifts, mornings and nights, weekends, and you work 18 hours on the last day of the month to try and make your department's sales quotas - No life!

It starts at the corporate level. I understand the idea behind commission based jobs, but you're robbing clients of real results when the advice they're given is driven by money and not the actual well-being of the clients. Treating people right is more important than selling them another thing!

618 Other Employee Reviews for Life Time Fitness (View Most Recent)

A good first sales job- Be prepared for long hours

Former Employee - Member Engagement Advisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Member Engagement Advisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Life Time Fitness full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have seen advisers make sickening amounts of money
    young/fun culture
    free meals and drinks often
    great training program
    free gym membership ( Though I never had time to use it)
    great on-boarding pay for first 6 months
    Loved the sales managers and GM I had at my location- extremely helpful and kind.
    Relatively fun and easy position.

Cons

Very high turnover
    It wasn't surprising to see advisers working entire months without days off to hit personal targets.
    To be successful you will need to put in between 65-80 hours each week.
    You never get weekends off. Most advisers work holidays.
    Bad work/life balance. I felt married to my career.

Start encouraging your workers to live the healthy way of life.
    Promote those who are eager to inspire and teach. Not those who are only good for working 28 days straight.
    Don't use non-paid days off as *gifts*.

Working in the Lifetime Cafe

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN

I have been working at Life Time Fitness part-time

Pros

Free gym membership.
    Discounts on the food, spa services, fitness classes and other amenities.
    Friendly work environment and employees from all departments are very friendly.

Cons

We are often understaffed during busy times in the cafe which makes it difficult to complete daily tasks.
    Sometimes the supply orders are not accurate or complete and we run out of supplies for making food or cleaning.
    We are not allowed to accept tips.

Be prepared to replace employees that leave or decrease their hours during school months. Also hire extra seasonal staff at the beginning of the New Year and before the summer months.
    Keep the staff aware of upcoming promotions so we can be prepared for a busier work day and are able to explain the promotions to customers.

There are newer employer reviews for Life Time Fitness