There are newer employer reviews for LifeScan

Not very innovative, but a good place to work

Former Employee - Manager in Milpitas, CA
Former Employee - Manager in Milpitas, CA

Pros

Great benefits, strong support from J&J corporate, great training and development opportunities as you move up. LifeScan may not be a household name, but J&J is, and I always felt proud to say I worked for J&J.

Cons

Get used to "LifeScan Standard Time": meetings start 10 minutes late, and new products launch at least 6 months late. Layoffs have become all too common lately. Some groups are very silo-like, although not all.

Advice to Management

Listen to team members when they tell you (weeks or months in advance) that the schedule cannot be met, rather than insisting on an unrealistic, can't-be-met, make-no-contingency-plans false view of the world. Give project teams the resources they need to complete the projects, and then hold them accountable.

Other Employee Reviews for LifeScan

1. Good place for summer work

Former Employee - Technician in Milpitas, CA
    Former Employee - Technician in Milpitas, CA

Pros

Worked at Lifescan during the summer. Was a good place to work; experience was decent. Worked in several different areas. People at Lifescan were friendly, job was not too difficult. Information was not passed freely around. Overall, this would be a good place to work since the pay was reasonable and the hours were not too bad. At least I was not there long enough to be exposed to any politics or anything like that. The technology was interesting to learn.

Cons

As a technician, the job could be somewhat monotonous. Food at the cafeteria wasn't the greatest so I ended up bringing my lunch instead.

Advice to Management

Did not get much feedback at my level.

2. A great place and a good balance

Former Employee - SMCS Finance Intern in Milpitas, CA
    Former Employee - SMCS Finance Intern in Milpitas, CA

Pros

As an intern, I was given a great deal of responsibility and autonomy in completing projects and utilizing my time to learn aspects of the company that were outside my departmental scope. The energetic and friendly atmosphere is welcoming and definitely adds a sense of belonging to the company, while management is also attentive to general needs of their employees. The level of work and the challenging projects dispersed were instrumental to my development while at the company, and the communication and feedback from senior management is nearly transparent if you seek it out.

Cons

Working across several different departments and work groups creates problems with the sharing and availability of information. The concept of function owners, while founded with good intention, often led to overly complex and time-consuming data and prior development clarification when it was needed. The information I could retrieve in 10 minutes at other companies could take weeks depending on the person in charge of any particular function.

Advice to Management

Break down barriers between departments and make use of productivity and efficiency improvements that could benefit the company and increase the speed and quality of communication and collaboration.