There are newer employer reviews for Lifetouch

A company that cares and a product you can get behind

Current Employee - Headquarters Employee  in  Eden Prairie, MN
Current Employee - Headquarters Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at Lifetouch full-time for more than a year

Pros

One of the best things about Lifetouch is employee-ownership in the form of ESOP. While this provides an amazing retirement benefit, it is really about having a vested stake in a business that you truly care about. Everybody has the ability to impact both the short AND long term success of the organization and, being privately held, we don't live and die by our quarterly results. It is also an organization filled with some of the nicest, most genuine people you will ever meet who are truly passionate about our industry and product. It's easy to fall in love with a photography company whose core focus is capturing invaluable memories. The amount of philanthropic work and money the company donates to the communities it serves is truly remarkable (think Target, they just don't advertise it).

Cons

The industry is complex and changes rapidly, but this is offset by the fact that you are working for a highly respected leader in the photography space. Lifetouch's corporate structure can be challenging to navigate as a newbie. It takes awhile to learn the ropes, but once the light bulb turns on you realize what an amazing place it truly is. The company is also fiscally conservative, which means you don't always have the newest and the best of everything. That being said, they do invest where it makes sense (and, to be honest, this strategy has helped the company stay in a very strong financial position compared to competitors).

325 Other Employee Reviews for Lifetouch (View Most Recent)

Fun... if you don't mind being over-worked and under-paid

Former Employee - Preschool, JCP, CSS
    Former Employee - Preschool, JCP, CSS

I worked at Lifetouch for more than 3 years

Pros

I've worked in the studios, schools, and a district office. Very stable company, bought out Olan Mills and Heriff Jones in 2012. Stock ownership. If you ever travel to corporate for training/meetings, they put you up in a very nice hotel and take good care of you. Just hope you don't go when it's snowing! Also, they were very flexible with transferring to different divisions.

Studios: Easy work when it's slow. Store discount.
    Schools: Fun working with kids, solo work, fun meetings twice a year, photo contests, M-F.
    District: Great coworkers, steady 40hrs/wk, relaxed office environment, can wear jeans to work, M-F.

Cons

I've spoken directly with a regional manager who admitted that Lifetouch pays just enough to keep employees on board for a couple seasons before they get fed-up and quit.

Studios: Very low pay and unpredictable hours. Must work weekends. Can't ask off around holidays.
    Schools: Long distance travel (2 of my coworkers got into accidents from falling asleep at the wheel) sick frequently, part-time seasonal work.
    District: Extremely overworked and underpaid for so many responsibilities.

Studios: Watch out for Portrait Innovations. They've got the right idea.
    Schools: Make sure you have enough photographers hired Before the season starts.
    District: Create a call center for call cycles and CRs.
    Across the board: Better Pay. Create opportunities for your best/most experienced photographers where they can look forward to pay increases.

Excellent internship experience at Lifetouch!

Former Employee - Marketing Intern  in  Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at Lifetouch as an intern for less than a year

Pros

- Involved in meetings
    - Learned about many different functions of the company through meetings with directors and senior leadership
    - Excellent mentorship with supervisors
    - Great pay for an internship

Cons

- Little project management
    - Felt like my work didn't contribute to the company

There are newer employer reviews for Lifetouch

Worked for Lifetouch? Contribute to the Community!