Lifetouch

www.lifetouch.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Lifetouch

Great Company with great values

I have been working at Lifetouch

Pros

Great retirement plan, company structure, and people

Cons

salary can be an issue but the work/life balance makes up for it

391 Other Employee Reviews for Lifetouch (View Most Recent)

Not Worth the Stress

Former Employee - Seasonal School Portrait Photographer in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Seasonal School Portrait Photographer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Lifetouch full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Photographing cute kids, learning what makes a great portrait. You don't have to work weekends. Many of my co-workers were nice (but not all of them). If you only want to work full time for three months, like working with kids, like taking pictures, and have a lot of energy, this could be for you.

Cons

It's very stressful with low pay and no job security. Income varies from week to week. You never know your schedule for the next week until Thursday or Friday of the previous week, so it's almost impossible to plan your life around work. Also, most days you go to a school for the day not knowing if the school will give you a lunch break or how long you will be there. One time, I had to wake up at 3:30am to drive to a school an hour and a half away. Midway through the day, I had to stay set up to photograph until 5pm. It takes about an hour to tear down and pack up your car with all the gear, so I didn't get home until 8pm. You may work long hours with no break. During school registration days in August, you may have to work late into the evening one night, then wake up at 3:30am the next morning to drive to the next school and set up the equipment (which takes 1 to 1.5 hours) to be ready to photograph at 7am. On those occasions, it is impossible to get enough sleep and have the energy to work the next day. The work can be very draining. The schools make the schedules and sometimes they make it so there's only one minute allotted to photograph each student. You don't get to be creative with the school portraits. If you're a photographer, you don't get to use the images in your portfolio. There is a lot of wear and tear on your vehicle and you have to keep all the gear in your trunk, which will likely take up your entire trunk and back seats, depending on the size of your car. I didn't feel like a valued employee. The employees who had been there longer had a gas card, but they discontinued it for the newer employees. I lot of employees quit or were fired before the season was over.

You should value your employees and provide better compensation.

Erratic schedule and pay

I have been working at Lifetouch full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I enjoy my customers, they can be a real joy to meet. My co workers for the most part are dedicated, hard working and professional.

Cons

Erratic schedule doesn't fit into a decent work life balance. While most companies have a disconnect between field and corporate this company is a case study on how wide that gulf can grow. While all interviews are advertising and everybody stretches the truth this is just plan false advertising. Being told that part timers can earn 25,000 and up goes beyond the pale. Average sale for all photographers is $20,000. Turnover is high and morale is low. Asked to act professionally while not being treated as one is not a joy. I have always been customer centric but it becomes hard when you are not earning or being treated professionally by the company. ESOP program is touted but I have co workers on snap program and they are having trouble paying their monthly bills. These are not folks living the high life they are just trying to make ends meet. Per diem and mileage compensation are poor, asking folks to find a room and eat on $75/day is unrealistic. No sick pay, no personal days or vacation no matter how long you have been with the company. Sales contests and incentives non existent except for the biannual and annual awards. In fact Chairman's award winner left the company shortly after winning.

Talk to field employees listen to there concerns and take them to heart. Talking amongst yourselves and self serving attitude are not helping the company and especially not helping the people that keep the lights and pay the salaries.

There are newer employer reviews for Lifetouch