Lighthouse Academies

lighthouse-academies.org

It was a wonderful opportunity marred by horrible work environment, poor leadership and lack of communication.

Teacher (Former Employee) Jacksonville, AR

ProsThe Lighthouse model of education is sound if executed properly. There are opportunities for individuals who don't meet all the state qualifications to work here and build up experience. Most of all being able to make a difference with the children that struggle in the normal school environment. Your co-teachers are very supportive and will help each other despite the environment.

ConsAs a new teacher of LHA, you will be working 45+ hours (effectively 80+ hours with homework) a week due to the longer school day, lack of support, inefficiencies of management, and how the LHA model is implemented. I am well aware that teachers work long hours outside the normal school day but after talking with many others LHA in Arkansas creates an environment that exceeds the norm. The LHA model is good but not for new teachers that need to learn core skills and abilities before they branch out with the unique methods of the model or teaching outside their licensed area. Very poor teacher retention rate. Problems and negative data is "swept under the rug" to make the school look good to the parents and Dept of Education rather than used to improve the school. I witnessed many opportunities for transparency in the name of improvement in front of the parents (or senior leadership) that actually was a spin to hide a problem. The poor leadership communications make it difficult for employees and cause the students to find gaps to take advantage of the system.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn the Arkansas region there are some serious leadership issues that create a horrid work environment, especially for new teachers. In addition, there are poor communication techniques that need to be addressed. All of this is exacerbated by long standing friendships between key employees that cloud judgement and effectiveness. Strongly recommend you observe the methods of faculty and office leadership. They may look productive on paper but they wreak havoc on the work environment and are impacting the children with unstable education that teeters on the edge of not meeting standards. Also watch out for the "friend" histories between various levels of leadership that clouds oversight and judgement on performance.

Accepting a job at this school was the worst decision of my life.

Elementary School Teacher (Former Employee) Jacksonville, AR

I worked at Lighthouse Academies

Pros: The other teachers are very supportive of one another and are a… Cons: Biased administration, poor leadership and support for teachers, 45 hour weeks. Everything is "swept under the rug" to make the school look great from the… Advice to Senior Management: Support your teachers. Hire based on skill, not friend of a friend.… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Light-years ahead of school district counterparts

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Lighthouse Academies

Pros: -smart, vision-oriented employees -talented teachers -arts-infused emphasis in curriculum model Cons: - strapped for cash. constantly having to "do more with… Advice to Senior Management: make better use of the national network and share more… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Lighthouse Academies.

Worked for Lighthouse Academies? Contribute to the Community!