Limelight Networks

www.limelight.com

Great Work environment

Current Employee - Manager  in  Tempe, AZ
Current Employee - Manager in Tempe, AZ

Pros

This is an excellent work environment and definitely challenging. Although I have been here a short time, I see management is definitely very proactive about keeping customers happy and takes every customer issue very seriously.

Cons

Better integration between the newly acquired companies would help.

Other reviews for Limelight Networks

Great place to work, excellent opportunity and smart people

Current Employee - Director, Product Marketing  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director, Product Marketing in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Limelight balances the best of both worlds. My background is primarily in young startups - with all that it entails - commitment to changing a market, bringing new products to market, ability to be flexible to changing market dynamics and customer requests. And even though Limelight is a public company, it encompasses all of that. But it's balanced by the fact that it's a small public company with almost 2K customers around the globe, where you don't wonder on a weekly basis if your Series A money is going to run out.

The career opportunity within the company is your's to make - if you are a top performer, opportunities, new and interesting projects get thrown your way. No one has ever said no to me when I have wanted to be involved in something. Add to it that the fact that I work with some of the smartest people in the industry, and it's a great place to work.

Cons

Both the company and the market is at a pivot point of change and with that requires some very intense periods of work. While I work late hours, sometimes on weekends, and am always "on", the flip side is that no one has ever though twice if I have to leave earlier for a PTA meeting or a little league game. The executive managers that I have worked with have consistently been good at supporting a work/life balance.

The regular company meetings are nice - but would be great to do have more informal get togethers with executive management so there can be more dialogue that is hard to do on via WebEx.

Limelight's is a fun and great place to be at

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Culture: The culture at Limelight is AWESOME! There's an overwhelming sense of camaraderie within the team, and I have yet to witness really any finger-pointing going on when mistakes are made (and they are made at times). When there are fire-drills, everyone bands together to diagnose the issue and solve it, without blaming anyone. We do postmortems afterwards to figure out how to prevent issues like this from happening again. The folks that I work with are willing to step in for each other, when needed, and even when they're not asked to. Also I feel like we have a culture of making sure credit is given to the person who actually deserves the credit, since there isn't really any competition amongst each other (which is thanks to management and also the people).

People: Also, I find the group of people I work with very fun. We have occasional events like go-karting, whirlyball, happy-hour, board-game night, hackathons, etc. It's a great bunch of people to hang out with, during work-time, lunch, dinner, or on weekends, all up to you. I like the team's sense of humor, lame or not, since they're fun to hang out with, and discuss random things like algorithms, software frameworks, games, politics, sports, outdoor events, life, future, sponge bob, zombies, etc.

Attitude: Along with that, in my opinion, the engineers here are humble and down-to-earth. I can't think of any other engineer that I've met at Limelight that I felt was condescending, other than myself, but that's because I'm super-awesome, and you know it. Pretty much most engineers are willing to help you out, as long as they're not too busy with the project they're involved in or if there isn't a firedrill happening.

Growth: Also the management is great here at Limelight. It still has a startup feel, even though it's a public company. Basically you can grow as much as you want to grow. If you want to be the service owner of 100 services, you can, as long as you can manage it, and management will help you out by shipping a case of redbull to your door every week if you need and enjoy it. If you want to experiment with new languages, frameworks, etc, you have the flexibility to do so, as long as you can defend your position on why what you did is the best approach at the moment for you. Also the management here is good about making sure you take time off when you need to, and since the other engineers are there to step in for you, you can take your vacation without much worries about getting called during a firedrill.

Management: I can only speak for management within my group, but management has done a good job of making sure to try to prioritize project and filter requests if it's not a priority, so that engineers can spend more of their time working on things that make the product better for our customers. Of course, some requests (internal or not) trickle down to us that should've been filtered, but nobody's perfect.

Transparency: With that, I feel that management is pretty transparent with us. They tell us how it is, and answer our questions, as long as it doesn't violate any of the rules of being a public company. I feel like management definitely hears the employees, and is real with us when they say they're going to do something about the issue, or if the issue isn't a big enough priority right now.

Brilliance: There's a lot of brilliant minds here at Limelight, that can help give you guidance, and help you grow. Lots of good managers that want to help you grow, and will open up opportunities for you, and will go to bat for you.

Innovation: Here at Limelight, they do value innovation and hard work, so your efforts don't go unnoticed. Your peers also recognize you for what you contribute, and will fight for your recognition if it goes unnoticed. There's also good incentive programs within Limelight to promote innovation.

Vision: Lastly, I like the vision that management has. I do believe that Limelight has a great future ahead of it. I also love how Limelight is a customer-based culture, so the work that you do here is to help your customers and in-kind the customers will thank you for it. Due to being customer-centric, sometimes developers will get involved with customers directly to implement a new feature or to solve an issue, so I believe it's a positive in terms of engineer growth aspects.

Cons

Collaboration: Since Limelight has several separate groups that work on different products, I don't think Limelight does a stellar job of coordinating work effort. There isn't as much in-your-face visibility on what other teams are working on and experimenting with. It's available to you via the wiki, along with talking with other teammates that might know about it, but since it's not as transparent what is being worked on, sometimes there's duplicated work. But the thing is, I'm not sure if it's any different at other places (same issues at my previous workplace). I know management heard our groans about this, and they're working on setting up a system to address this issue.

No Company Parties: Also because the groups are separated in different regions (Tempe, San Francisco, Seattle), there rarely seems to be any company-wide events that brings all the divisions in one place for a celebration. I do have to say that realistically, that's difficult to do, but it would be nice to have.

Antivirus: PCI compliance requires antivirus on my machine, which can hog up my CPU for a while, but it's a necessary sacrifice, right? That's what I'm told, right? Right?

Compensation: The compensation at Limelight isn't notable, especially in comparison to the other companies around the Bay Area. I would say the compensation is average or maybe a little bit below average. But there is a balance between what compensation doesn't provide, does it provide in other ways, like the culture and growth prospects.

Food: We don't get catered lunches and dinners every day.

Firedrills: Firedrills aren't fun, but when are they ever fun? We still need to do a better job of reducing false positive alerts, since false positive results in engineers and ops from being too desensitized to it. This is currently being work on.

Restrictive Policy: Along with the positives of innovation, there's some negatives. I do feel like Limelight's policy on side-projects is a quite restrictive. Basically if you plan on working on your own side-projects on your own time with your own machine and software, Limelight supposedly can take claim over that side-project. Of course, you can take full ownership of it if you tell Limelight about it and have them determine within a specified timeframe if they want to own that project or not, but I feel like if you're doing it on your own time with your own resources and you're not working on a competing project using Limelight's IP, then it should be 100% your own project. Of course, being able to determine it's not a competing project can be very subjective, and not one person knows all of Limelight's IP.

Mandatory Tasks: Like with most companies, there are times you're handed boring tasks. There's really nothing you can do about it since those boring tasks need to get done. On the positive side of things, the PMs and managers try to distribute these tasks so not one person is overwhelmed with projects that they don't find interesting.

Meetings: As we grow, we've been having more and more meetings. Meetings are used as a way to disseminate information but to also better collaborate. There have been times that there were too many meeting, and all of these meetings is really not due to management, but due to the engineers. Since we, the engineers, are the ones that set up these meetings for design reviews, hiring process, etc, we can't blame anyone but ourselves. On the positive side of things, this is all in our control.

Continue to push your vision, and unify the groups, to deliver a great product that can change the industry.

Also I would love to have more time dedicated to growth, meaning that instead of spending time of projects that come down from customers, management, etc, I would love it if some time was dedicated to working on projects that can benefit the company, like research new frameworks, etc.

It would also be nice to have a competitive salary amongst the top companies in the Bay Area.

Lastly, I would like the policy on personal side-projects to be a little bit more lax, if possible. Unfortunately this policy deters me from pursuing side-projects or results in turnover, since it's the same as working on the weekends if the side-project ends up being owned by the company. In that scenario, the only incentive for doing so is for the betterment of the company, which is good, but that weekend time could also be spent enjoying the outdoors too. In the end, this may result in less innovation due to engineers not experimenting with new technology, and also results in dissatisfaction with the company itself.

There are newer employer reviews for Limelight Networks.

Worked for Limelight Networks? Contribute to the Community!