Limelight Networks

www.limelight.com
  www.limelight.com
There are newer employer reviews for Limelight Networks

Fun place to work, love hate relationship, emotionally draining

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Limelight Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free food, team outings, really fast Internet at your desk, you will learn a lot about Internet technologies.

Cons

Sales is a terrible place to be in this company. They have driven out every good person they had either because of lack of pay or lack of respect. I've seen people quit on the spot without having another job simply because they couldn't take it anymore (not the stress of the job, but the stress of their manager). They micro manage. There aren't enough technical resources for the sales people, so they are left to fend of themselves. If you're not in the "IN CROWD" you are OUT. They say they promote from within, but when I tried to get other positions I was denied each time. If you're good at what you do you will be stuck in that position forever. You have to threaten to quit to get a raise. Their pay is way under the industry average. They acquired other companies and brought over their sales people and gave them a "VP" title. giving them huge salaries and stock options, meanwhile those of us who were with the company a long time were never given promotions or raises. They give you a bonus of worthless stock options which need to mature for 4 years before you can sell them. Maybe with the new leadership the company can turn around?

Pay the industry average. Your people are your assets and giving them free lunch and a keg of beer once in awhile doesn't pay their mortgage. Let your inside team telecommute a couple days a week, that goes a long way for moral. The "old boys club" there needs to go! It's starting with Lunsford leaving!

134 Other Employee Reviews for Limelight Networks (View Most Recent)

Best place I've ever worked

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Limelight Networks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I read all 8 reviews before posting and thought I should set the record straight. I've learned that 1 star reviews you find on the internet are typically based on emotion rather than fact, and that seems to be the case here.

Limelight is the best company I've ever worked for, hands down. Their excellent benefits include: competitive salary, quality medical/dental/vision insurance, flexible hours, telework opportunities, and an onsite 24x7 self-serve deli (Tempe HQ office). Obviously every position is not eligible for flex hours and telework, but many are. Even at Limelight's other offices where there is no deli, the company stocks snacks and drinks. And you are free to go offsite for lunch despite what one reviewer stated.

All supervisors and management I've ever worked under have been open and friendly. I have advanced twice since starting at the company 5 years ago. Senior management is very forward-thinking and engaged. They provide regular updates to the entire company, and are very transparent internally compared to most organizations. No, they haven't turned the company into Apple or Google yet, but the company is continually improving and gaining industry recognition.

Limelight is a small group of hard-working professionals who have built a leading digital services provider. The company is steadily moving forward and in less than 10 years has become a leader in the industry. Our customers love us and reward us with new business all the time. We're more of a partner to them than a vendor. Anyone in the know is already aware of this. If this sounds like your kind of place, I welcome you to join us. You will be challenged and rewarded.

Cons

Limelight is a truly unique company. There really are no other companies out there that do exactly what we do, the way we do it. There are a couple that come close, but not quite. This is a huge bonus in our industry. However, the cost of being on the bleeding-edge of this new business concept is the unpredictability and frequent change and adaptation required.

Right now, the company is constantly growing and changing, and with that comes frequent re-organization and new process implementation and refinement. This can be frustrating, but if you are willing to be flexible and to take charge where you see an opportunity, you will be successful. Sometimes problems (read: opportunities) come up and you just have to own it and take care of it yourself. If you have a "That's not my job" mentality, you won't last long here. We are a tight-knit group of professionals who are not afraid to get our hands dirty and are always willing to help each other out to get the job done.

I've been here for over 5 years and am used to regular change, but I suppose many people can be frustrated by this, particularly if they are from a large, well-established organization. Limelight is still very "lean"; employees are numbered in the hundreds, not thousands. If you expect everything to be perfectly ordered and predictable, good luck in the tech world. Go work at a telco, bank, or insurance company.

Work on developing and implementing a concrete, effective internal organizational plan with clear responsibilities and processes, one with that will work now and into the future. This will provide a more welcoming environment for employees who are not

Changing Company values

Former Employee - Operations Engineer in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Operations Engineer in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Limelight Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Large company with stable bottom line, at the time of this writing.
    - Second largest CDN company in terms of delivery.
    - Salary can be negotiated if you are a strong negotiator.
    - Work is challenging, exciting technology.

Cons

- More concerned about statistics and bottom line than customer experience or employee retention.
    - Constant lawsuit leaves the company somewhat off balance for the future.
    - Changing from core delivery to Saas is messy and difficult to support.
    - Top company officers are currently leaving the company.

There are newer employer reviews for Limelight Networks