Lincoln Financial Group

www.lfg.com

LFD pay for performance, LFG overly cautious.

Current Employee - Director
Current Employee - Director

Pros

Flexibility and potential for advancement

Cons

Current division feels and acts like a start up with all the same start up headaches. Management and directional changes at the top literally flip flop every other year.

Learn the pros of a 3-5 year plan and stick to it.

Other reviews for Lincoln Financial Group

Provided me with a new experience.

Former Employee - Retirement Consultant
    Former Employee - Retirement Consultant

Pros

Genuine people to work with.

Cons

Not recognized for personal strengths.

Middle management is insecure and does no recognize individual talents and how to utilize them.

A good place to get some experience but too frustrating for a long term career

Pros

Great benefits, and salaries are, from what I can tell, on the higher side of average for the financial service industry. Somewhat conservative culture but not as much as one would think for the financial service industry. Fairly open minded and tolerant place to work. There are some career development opportunities. Great work life/balance in my experience, but not for everyone. And the marketing department has a lot of potential if they had better leadership.

Cons

I think it really depends on what department you're in. I work in marketing which has on average 1 to 2 re-orgs a year. A coworker worked here for four years and had seven managers. I've worked here half the time and have had three. Senior management gets caught up in territorial ego games. The best interest of the company does not seem to enter into many of their decisions.
     Whether they know it or not (they'd have to be deaf, dumb, and blind not to) most employees have no confidence in their leadership. And I have to seriously question the marketing competency of most senior management and some of middle management.
    It's a place where incompetence can hide out for a long time. There are many people who don't care to do things right or better, they just want to cross the task off their list. This is the case with most of the marketing managers who, in fairness, are an overburdened group. They often cut corners and push things along without developing a campaign to nearly its potential. I would also add that most of them don't seem to have a good grasp on marketing - not nearly enough for what the job requires.
    Lincoln is old fashioned and has not really grasped the importance of the internet yet. Your bright, forward thinking, ideas may or may not get audience depending on your team. There are many nice people but if you actually care about your job and have passion for what you do, you may find yourself very frustrated by the incompetence, "just get it done" mentality, and bureacracy.

Think about things from the consumer perspective. Just because our internal jargon and mantras are important to us does not mean they are important to our customers.

Make decisions for the best interest of the company, not your self image. Don't feel obligated to conjure up an opinion on something just because you're the head of whatever.

Understand that perpetual re-orgs undermines confidence in your leadership and creates a culture of low moral and insecurity. People ARE the company. Go out of your way to respect and validate them. Be transparent in your decisions. If you level with people, they won't gossip and speculate as to what's happening around them behind the curtain.

To middle management - don't let stakeholders entirely dictate the outcome of a campaign - they're not the marketing specialist. Educate them and do whatever you have to do to preserve the integrity of the campaign.

Encourage innovation and get more digital marketing savvy. Our web site is not helping our brand.

Understand the importance of brand. People aren't going to want to put their nest egg into an annuity offered by a company they have little familiarity with. People confuse the field we sponsor for the company. They don't know what we do other than have a name on a football field. That's pretty sad.

Differentiate the brand from our competition. We have been using language very similar to John Hancock. We cannot be all things to all people, so lets be something remarkable to a few. Lets put a stake in the ground, even if it alienates some of the market, we will be more attractive to a segment.

Do more with the field!

There are newer employer reviews for Lincoln Financial Group.

Worked for Lincoln Financial Group? Contribute to the Community!