There are newer employer reviews for Linden Lab

New Era

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Linden Lab full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

+ Launching new product - we're not just SL anymore.
+ Large scale, big data tech issues -- fun problems.
+ Individuals can have a big impact on the business -- not limited by role/lack of seniority.
+ Loads of autonomy.

Cons

- Communication can be better from leadership.
- Remote offices feel unplugged.
- Slackers get to slack.

Get out in front of the employees more - we want to hear from you.
Recognize top performers and cut the slackers.

reviews filtered by

Most fun I've ever had

Former Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Linden Lab full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great product
    Fabulous people
    A culture of thanking people for doing the right thing rather than punishing them for doing the wrong thing., When things went wrong it wasn't finger pointing but "how can we make sure this doesn't happen again".
    LOADS of autonomy - if you were willing to make it happen you could make it happen. It was great.
    Excellent work/life balance. People do work overtime, but no one is ever asked to. It's a professional commitment those people are choosing to make. And it is the exception rather than the rule.

Cons

The tech is really crusty.
    Understaffed to address all that needs to be done.
    100% SCRUM all the time whether that fits the project or not (and mostly it's not)
    The churn rate for employees is huge yet is treated as "normal" (2-3 people a week is NOT normal for a company this size)
    I have nothing good to say about the HR department as it has nothing good to say about the employees.

Take a long hard look at your recent HR policies and the churn rate and ask.... "are these new policies really good for the company"? Stop letting good people go - with a minimum of effort you could keep half the people that leave. The knowledge drain is not making the tech better. Invest more in the technology that is your bread and butter. Stop leading from behind, get out front so people can see you.

2. Strange mix of incredible and frustrating.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Linden Lab full-time

Pros

Very competent co-workers; fun place to work; ability to "take ownership" of projects; ability to work on several different projects, not just what you were hired in to do.

Cons

Different groups were not coordinated; culture favored seniority, not always merit; difficult to understand what management wanted people to do.

Figure out what Linden's compelling advantage is, then press that. Is it virtual world technology? Is it the brand? Is it the community? In my time at Linden, we tried to be all things to all people and wound up spreading ourselves too thin.

There are newer employer reviews for Linden Lab