There are newer employer reviews for LinkedIn

an evolving company with opportunities for those that strive for excellence

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at LinkedIn

Pros

opportunities to transform your career are very real innovative views on our people strategy or opportunity come from places other than HR it is a company that truly cares and appreciates its people growth = opportunity

Cons

the talent strategy is a little stale need an innovative approach to attracting and retaining engineering talent (some great engineers seem to get turned down)

Advice to Management

ensure the company execs and leaders get up from the armchair of Mt View to really make the "global" corporate vision of LinkedIn a reality

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Helping to change the world while transforming yourself.

Current Employee - Product Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at LinkedIn

Pros

- Very smart people to learn from - Growth opportunities within team or laterally - Shuttle to/from SF - 401k matching - Stocks - Free food all around - Great gym classes (yoga, trx, etc) - Donation matching - Lots of team activities/offsites/company parties - Hackdays - Yearly caltrain pass - ice cream fridge - Amazing speakers/movie previews - Open source contributions - Fast growth

Cons

- Fast growth may mean that you have to cover more than one area - Some teams are under more pressure than other teams

Advice to Management

Spend a day/month with people doing the jobs you would hate to do.

I've learned a lot and grown a lot here, but have also a lot about best practices gone wrong as well

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at LinkedIn

Pros

1. Engineers are pretty good 2. People care about the site and what they are working on 3. Performance is (usually) rewarded 4. You have a huge impact on the world 5. The day-to-day environment is pretty nice 6. There are interesting problems to solve in architecture, scalability, etc.

Cons

1. The architecture of the site is in shambles. Over 300 distinct services on the site. Not a single person could draw even a quarter of the current architecture. 2. The code base is in shambles. There are no comments or documentation in any of the code base. The wiki may be years out of date 3. Within the last year, culture here has gotten extremely political. I'm afraid to do a great job and discuss what I'm working on because it may cause a turf war. 4. Speaking of culture, LinkedIn's is a "culture of fear." We are over post-mortemed. People have responded by going through ridiculous lengths to CYA 5. Middle management is highly variable in quality. Middle managers are promoted by how well they manage upwards, not how well their teams are doing. I've seen people promoted that I frankly felt should have been shown the door based on their lack of professionalism and performance. 6. Engineering is stuck in a vice grip from product 7. When a team is mandated to build a piece of infrastructure, it takes forever and usually comes out as an over-engineered mess that's less capable than the open source alternative they spurned to write it in the first place.

Advice to Management

We need about 10 more inversions.