Love this place

Current Employee - Engineering in Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - Engineering in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at LinkedIn full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been in the Valley for 11 years and LinkedIn is my third software company. I'm pretty sure it's also by far the best one I've worked for in terms of the level of excitement, energy, the culture of innovation and quality of people. The company is going through hyper-growth right now and it shows in both the stock price and campus vibe. People are genuinely happy to be here and I'm no exception to that. LinkedIn is a meritocracy so instead of hiring people from outside there is a culture of promoting strong performers. This is true even for managers and I'm impressed by how many managers used to once be engineers at the company. The company is also committed to staying innovative so there are a number of initiatives which are geared towards encouraging employees to think outside the box and come up with creative solutions to problems. Finally, I would of course be remiss if I did not give kudos to the new full service cafeteria in MV, which is pretty amazing.

Cons

The gym could definitely be better but that's really about it.

Advice to Management

I hope that Jeff and his team can continue the culture of transparency they have instilled into the company through frequent stand ups and what not. I think it does great for employee morale when the executives are accessible and willing to answer any tough questions people may have.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Company focuses on making professionals successful but fails to deliver that same service to its own employees.

Current Employee - Marketing Manager
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager

I have been working at LinkedIn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1) The perks are great -- free food at every corner, monthly inDays to stretch you beyond your usual work, exercise classes, flexible work schedule, and more.
    2) The potential of the company is also hard to ignore -- we're on a trajectory to do great things and the market agrees (as reflected in our stock price).

Cons

1) There is a failure to foster and grow talent, leading to high churn and dissatisfaction among tenured employees. I've been here for 3+ years and have been vocal in my desire to expand my role and grow my career. We lack the internal structure to support employees like me who want to stay at the company but need guidance on where opportunities may lie. So people either get frustrated and leave or simply stay to fulfill their vesting period and get increasingly disgruntled in the process.

2) Inconsistent culture and work/life balance: I have only experienced the Marketing team where employees struggle with being overworked and unable to enjoy the "fun" aspects of working at LinkedIn. Other teams like engineering and product appear to be the opposite.

Advice to Management

Invest in your existing talent -- look to grow from within before hiring from outside, even if it involves risk and training.

Tells a good story; doesn't really live up to it

Former Employee - Ad Producer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Ad Producer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at LinkedIn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free food. The facilities are great and are updated often for the better. Benefits are good. The intern program is one of the best. Despite dysfunctions in various organizations, the company's outlook is healthy.

Cons

I worked in Global Sales Operations for 4 years, so this perspective is unique to that.

Long hours are expected; don't expect less than 45-50 and often 55-60 near the end of quarter. Do not expect management to honor work-life balance by default. Most rank-and-file employees that support Sales work long hours.

There is dissonance between stated values and actual working values; for example, a commonly spoken mantra is "members first" -- yet there are few member support options other than email (no phone center) and LinkedIn is embroiled in a lawsuit concerning spamming new users' contact lists because of an unclear and confusing user experience.

No clear path of promotion for many positions in GSO.

Much of the advertised "company culture" excludes parts of the company outside of Mountain View; there is no true "hackDay" and "inDay" outreach. This leads to "Two Companies" syndrome, where one side lives LinkedIn culture and the other doesn't have opportunities to participate.

Middle management is "dog eat dog", incompetent, and highly political, which has led to a lack of collaboration between departments and a promotion of the idea that you're on your own.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. Promote more from inside the company, especially Yahoo! outsiders. Give your employees long-term goals outside of "doing your job better". There is a lot of dead weight in middle management; use better methods to analyze their performance including feedback from their subordinates and take appropriate action.