LinkedIn

www.linkedin.com

LinkedIn is an absolutely incredible place to work, and I’m loving every moment it!

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

Pros

LinkedIn is a company that truly cares about its employees, providing opportunities for professional growth and career transformation. I look forward to coming to work every day, and feel inspired by everyone around me.

- absolutely brilliant people, in every department
  - great employee benefits and perks
  - InDays & hack days
  - company culture is like no other; the best I've seen
  - the agility of a startup with the stability of an established company
  - bi-weekly company all-hands meeting with the CEO
  - flexible work hours / vacation structure is awesome / perfect work-life balance
  - company transparency & communication from the executive team
  - very clear mission/vision... members always come first!

Cons

Not much to say for the cons section...
  - dealing with legacy code can be painful

Other reviews for LinkedIn

Interesting and not what I expected

Pros

Great culture of giving back. Jeff Weiner, and other execs with his leadership, patience, stamina, and wisdom make it worthwhile. To be able to hear their experiences and ideas is so valuable and appreciated. And they're very willing to share!

We are very well taken care of! Between the food, events, fitness opportunities, and activities, there's never a dull moment. The LinkedIn Speaker Series are terrific. Music and artistic abilities are valued and promoted.

Benefits are mostly good, 401k matching could be better. Can't beat the ESPP.

Cons

Keep in mind, a lot of the reviews you'll see here are from new, or newer, members of the corporate workforce.

In a nutshell, being a 10 year old company doesn't mean you should act like a 10 year old.

Tall silos; turf wars; gossip and rumor mongering; lack of management experience and support; and counter-culture actions and attitudes. People are allowed to ride roughshod over each other and there is a strong culture of fear in some groups. Support is non-existent to those who experience this. It sounds trite, but I also haven't met many genuinely 'nice' people. They all seem too busy trying to prove themselves.

The famous LinkedIn culture is inconsistent. Speak with most teams, or just read the reviews here, and you'll see glowing ones about the LinkedIn culture. Just realize that it does not permeate into all groups at LinkedIn. We are not treated equally or fairly, as some would like to claim. And that can happen anywhere you go, sure.

Be very careful when accepting a job here that you read into the lines of how people describe the group, each other, and their management. I saw red flags but chose to ignore them. When you can't get a clear definition or answer to a question, you should know there is a problem. Unless you're a recent college grad .. in which case, you'll have a blast.

The comp is not as good as other places. I had two other job offers that I turned down that were much higher than this, for smaller jobs.

This company needs to grow up at some point. You will lose strong, competent talent - the type of talent that you will need to carry you into your next decade. It seems short-sighted to continue to operate on all cylinders as a start-up one full decade into it. Having said that, the start-up mentality is what fosters the growth and innovation. The answer is to maintain the culture and spirit of LinkedIn but institute some structure to keep it all together. Right now, behind the curtain, it's falling apart.

Accountability from your middle management is missing. Unqualified people are being allowed to run the show and that's hurting the company. Provide well-rounded management training - how to manage people, programs, and how to propagate LinkedIn culture.

Lofty ideals muddle by the inadequacy of people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

LinkedIn has a very compelling mission objective.
    Thanks to their ideals they often bring in great people who likewise demonstrate caring.

LinkedIn definitely believes in training and often times will allow you greater resources to improve.

LinkedIn does a hell of a job of getting people new to the company really excited and mobilizing these people to speak their praises. (Note how long most of the glowing review have worked at LinkedIn).

They best way to describe LinkedIn's culture: "We are a bunch of workaholics who like alcohol."

Cons

Bad manager's.- Thanks to LinkedIn's hypergrowth we have promoted a lot of new managers who are just candidly bad.

Switching of standards- I believe this orientates its self around bad manager's many times, they will say one thing and measure by a different standard then what was communicated. Leading to complications, also i have witness managers stop their team members from being promoted, when a hiring manager wanted said teammate.

Lastly, the hiring experience at LinkedIn could definitely be improved.

Please spend more training to help your lower management. We are having a loss in quality thanks to the management hiring spree we went on last year...... they are not quite up to snuff and definitely don't always live up to LinkedIn's standards.

There are newer employer reviews for LinkedIn.

Worked for LinkedIn? Contribute to the Community!