There are newer employer reviews for LinkedIn

Excellent company, but some politics

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at LinkedIn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent company to work for. Free lunches and dinners that are of very high quality - even better than most restaurants around here. On-site gym with instructor-led classes, hack days, incubator program are all part of the fun culture.

Cons

Too much politics for a company of its size. Promotions are slow (non-existant), especially for Software Engineers in Test. The company did not even have a career progression profile for these position until recently! Health insurance is so-so at best. High premiums, and low coverage. Also, there is no stock rewards at year-end review, unless you are in senior leadership role. That's shocking given that all the companies competing for talent here gives stock rewards to its employee rank-and-file.

Advice to Management

- Consider better insurance plans - Consider giving stock-based compensation to rank-and-file employees rather than giving all the stocks to a selected few at Senior leadership roles.

Other Employee Reviews for LinkedIn

1. Inspiring vision, uninspired execution

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at LinkedIn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can legitimately believe that you are working towards a good cause Very low expectations. Work life-balance tilts more to life and less to work

Cons

Technical vacuum over several years has resulted in the promotion of sub-standard people to positions of power. While there have been attempts to hire a way out of this problem, the old guard continues to hold sway

Advice to Management

Be bold, be brave.

Responsibility & Autonomy

Current Employee - Product Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at LinkedIn full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love that I have the autonomy to bring my strategy to production. Great *healthy* food Fun offsites Incredibly smart people who I'm blown away by on a daily basis Love the emphasis on Members First. It's great to work for an organization that cares.

Cons

This isn't a place to slack off - the flip side to autonomy is that I have a lot of responsibility for the success (or failure) of my product. That can be stressful.

Advice to Management

A lot of things here get done by influence rather than obligation. That's great because it prevents it from feeling like it's a big company, but it also can get clique-y and politics play a bigger role than they should. Having clearer expectations of roles would be helpful.