Best job of my career

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at LinkedIn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pros: * Good positive culture. There are a good number of bright, passionate, hard working people who want to kick donkey (hey, glassdoor, don't complain about my bad language w/out telling me what words offend your delicate sensibilities) and will work together to do so. * This is silicon valley and work life balance is a struggle at any company but, I think LinkedIn offers a good balance. People work hard because they are passionate. Stepping out in the middle of the day to go to an event at your kid's school is totally fine. Yes, many (most?) people check email or work from home in evenings but leaving work at 5 or 5:30 is also pretty normal. * Some of the older reviews (which I read when I joined) talk about politics and infighting. I think that may have been somewhat accurate when I joined but now I feel that there is genuine good culture of cross team collaboration. Things aren't perfect but they are good. * Professional development. They want their employees to have "transformative experience" in their time at LinkedIn. It's cheesy but that actually has been my experience. I think this is more than lip service. They offer one day courses on things like presentation skills and I recently took a formal (and high quality) 7 day training on a technical topic. * Good management. Lots of complaints about managers in the older reviews. The problem was that the company was growing quickly and promoting from within (which is fine) but not giving these first time managers any training or guidance. I'm not a manager but I'm pretty sure they now take this very seriously and mid and lower level managers are given training and guidance. My manager is a vastly better manager than he was a few years ago, I don't believe he accomplished this w/out support from the company. * Hiring good people. We have high hiring standards both technical and attitude. Some earlier employees were and still are awesome, some not so much. Hiring was revamped/formalized a few years ago and quality of new hires has gone up and been more uniform. * This really is a plus: a couple of people who were awful were discretely let go. This is great for people who aren't awful. I respect and appreciate/management for doing this. No this isn't chilling or scary in any way. It's healthy. Good people attract good people. Bad people repel good people. * Perks. I don't care about this type of stuff much but LinkedIn is next door to google and competing for the same employees so there are a lot of free creature comforts. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, snacks, occasional massage, etc.). I'm pretty confident LinkedIn is not as over the top as google, but it is over the top enough (Kombucha on tap). * LinkedIn always says "members first" and they mean it. That said, the data they have access to is impressive. They know more about your company than your company does. They know where everyone at your company worked last. They know about their skills. I can't believe that this data is anywhere near being fully exploited.

Cons

Linkedin is not perfect but I have a hard time coming up with anything serious, but here goes: Not everyone is great. Some early employees who have done quite well financially are not as good as later employees who contribute more. I admit this is petty and irrational but that irritates me a little.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Disappointing

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at LinkedIn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

LI brand is strong within the industry (amazing PR team and employees are asked to post positive reviews before rankings come out) so you should be heavily recruited after some time here. Work life balance = good. Each business @LI has a different culture. Depends on who the leader of the business is and the leaders they have hired. Also think HQ has a more positive culture than the sales offices. Interviews are dead easy. One reason there have been alot of bad hires.

Cons

Culture and values are for chumps...at least in sales. They're a way to keep individual contributors in line. Leadership defied values regularly in my business. It's well-known that integrity is not something this leader cares for. Team leads contacted HR, but HR blew them off. Don't think this is an issue across the company, but it's a major issue in my team. Not the best and the brightest here. Compared to the other major tech companies...LI people are just not that smart. Take a look on LI at profiles of the sales people who work here and you'll see. The comp is also average because they can't afford to hire the best. It's also one reason for the amazing reviews. It's a great job for people who don't have a shot at working with and for the best so they're thrilled with what they get at LI. LI is behind on product innovation. The product is usually a copy of whatever FB launched a year ago. Get as many RSUs and the highest comp you can when you join because once you're in they are stingy.

Advice to Management

Considering the stock performance lately, might want to take a long hard look at those below VP level and see what's really going on. HR needs to be cleaned up in a serious way.

2. Great place to work

I have been working at LinkedIn

Pros

people, facilities, pay, perks, benefits

Cons

none none none none none