Opportunity awaits

I have been working at Lithia Motors full-time

Pros

Pay is great, with great potential to move up

Cons

Long hours and days off will vary

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Stable Employment if you want to live in a small town and never crawl out of the lower-middle class

I worked at Lithia Motors full-time

Pros

Brand new state-of-the-art LEED-certified home office in a redeveloping downtown Medford, stable company with a strong NYSE stock and a good stock purchase program, Medford has great weather compared to the rest of Oregon, new generation of senior management, active in the community, good training programs

Cons

They can't attract talent due to their small pool (Medford) and won't pay the salaries needed to bring in top talent, The company stability in Medford has created a bastion of "sacred cows" (nepotism) and a convoluted management structure of old school and new school senior managers who step on each-other's toes, Medford is a 5 hour drive from "civilization" (Portland) and the airport has limited and expensive flights and shuts down often in the winter for those trying to escape, To get any culture one haves to live in Ashland, ZERO dating pool locally for singles, company is expanding yet not adding bodies to keep their stock strong which only benefits Wall Street and Senior managers, company "core values" are on paper only, medical insurance coverage is below average.

Advice to Management

Start appreciating (paying) your non-senior employees, pay to attract some top talent, time to clean out the old-generation and broom a lot of the "sacred cows" who work for the company...Shake some things up and innovate!

Family? I have a family?

Former Employee - Business Manager in Missoula, MT
    Former Employee - Business Manager in Missoula, MT

I worked at Lithia Motors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is good, most of the people are, too.

Cons

Lost days off due to sales events, work until you're done, as a woman I was paid $500 less than my male counterpart who started a year after me and his percentages per sale were higher. Didn't inspire me to make the big sales AND there's a cap on how much you can make. LOTS of down-time.

Advice to Management

Look to your employees. They make or break your company. There were 3 GMs in the time I was there. One wasn't there almost at all, another was OK but you didn't always get the sense you could talk to him if there were issues and the last was very difficult to deal with. He would change policies without telling you first then yell at you if you somehow missed the memo (there was a memo?!). Your employees have families. I'm sure that it being the car business, it's important to sell cars, but your employees have families, lives they deserve to enjoy. Their life is NOT the company. They owe the company nothing. It would be good to stop treating them like cattle. There were days I would go in at 9 and come home around midnight. During the summer this was more common than it should have been. Also, If you did not make your expected # of sales you were put through a meeting with the GM and GSM where you were told how bad you are at your job but that they'll keep you there for another month. I'm paraphrasing. It's demoralizing. Employees are well aware when they're not making the sales. Their paychecks reflect that and you can bet it is kicking them when down to have that meeting. How about working on training instead? Focusing on what is positive and proven ways to improve. Paying them appropriately helps, too.