There are newer employer reviews for Living Direct

Cultural Improvements with a Positive Future Ahead

I have been working at Living Direct full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I joined LivingDirect because there is a lot of opportunity to grow, learn and be apart of a team that is not found in most companies. The senior and executive management is down to earth, open to ideas and opinions, and they treat everyone as peers and equals. There have been some strategic team changes in the company to force departments out of their silos and to interact with each other and learn from each other...for some people that can be scary but for building a strong long term culture it's the right thing to do. I've worked in companies with silos and where departments are pitted against each other, and that's not fun and kills your spirit and limits what you can accomplish and the experience you can gain. Speaking to that, the culture here is more like a start-up and they allow you to take calculated risks in an effort to make things better. Yes, it can be hard to take that risk personally because if you fail you have to own it. But the beauty of LivingDirect is that mistakes are allowed and encouraged so long as you learn from them and share what you learned. I think that's a quality that is easily overlooked and rarely found in companies these days. Hence I've already done more and learned more at this company then in any other company I've worked for and I owe that to the confidence and trust the leadership team has in me and everyone else who works here. How many places have you worked where you have the fear of being fired for making one mistake and that's stopped you from figuring out whether something would truly be worth it?

Cons

The company motto is "Lagniappe" and each letter stands for a company value. When a company stands for that many values it is hard to do every one of them all the time and at times I too have struggled to get behind all of them in every situation I face. The good news though is the leadership teams recognizes this dilemma and has proactively engaged all of us to give them feedback on what we think of those values and what values are most important to us...being included in this process is cool and I think will build a better foundation for all of us (employees) to get behind if done correctly. Lastly, one personal struggle I've had is the amount of work there is - it's challenging to keep up with sometimes especially during peek periods but it is ecommerce and there will always be those demands.In general I think the opportunities out weight the occasional loss of some family time.

1. Come up with 3 core values that quide all company decisions and direction (not easy I'm sure). They should be values that all employees can get behind, understand, and make decisions on themselves without having to ask someone else if that's what it means.

2. Prioritize the work further. The teams are more robust now than they've ever been but the amount of work is still enormous and we need your guidance to prioritize it further.

3. With all the innovation and freedom to make things better sometimes we err on the side of productivity which can result in doing the wrong thing quickly sometimes. I think we should try to be more strategic with our innovation so we do the right thing even if it takes more time.

reviews filtered by

I feel for the workers and the customers who shop here

I worked at Living Direct

Pros

The average employees are generally good people to work with and you can learn some of the ins and outs of a call center and ecommerce

Cons

The company has a continuous sale running every day that is not an actual sale. Instead they change prices to make a sale appear to be larger or smaller as needed. Amazing how a product that is marked at 15% to 25% off always seems to end up like $499 exactly. Huge restocking fees when someone wants to return an item that's not as advertised. They sell their own brands of appliances always making them better than everyone else even tho they're just cheap Chinese knock-offs. I've seen some that were brought in faulty from the manufacturer in China and sold anyway knowing there will be high returns - It's crazy. I've also seen some really great managers/employees get treated pretty bad when things weren't going right for the owner or VP's. Most of them left and found better jobs somewhere else and they always seem to bring worse people in to replace them.

Hard to advise people that don't listen and already know everything. You can get a lot from your lower level employees if you give them half a chance. Some of us even have degrees that could benefit the company if someone would actually hear our ideas and offer some advancement opportunities.

Not a good long-term employer

I have been working at Living Direct

Pros

A decent place to work if you're only looking to gain some ecommerce experience, nice building in a nice location, good people generally work here, but the best are always the first to get out after a couple years.

Cons

A company struggling to find itself, high churn, lower than average pay, management doesn't know what it's doing in regard to company growth and establishing career paths for employees, customers are not treated as they should, poorly made products from China are passed off as "great" through filtered reviews, good employees are way too easily let go, executive management struggles to find it's way and passes the blame to middle managers, hard work and loyalty seldom get rewarded.

The running joke around the company is that the "E" is silent in the company "LANIAPPE" motto (which stands for Ethical)

There are newer employer reviews for Living Direct