LivingSocial

www.livingsocial.com

Great opportunity, but not what it once was...

Manager In Ops (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsNow: great benefits, fun culture, relaxed work environment, super awesome people, brand recognition for future opportunities.

ConsThe sad reality (that should have been anticipated) is that this was not the place I joined. What was once a company that was founded on creativity and innovation has devolved to a focus on the bottom line. That creativity still exists for developers, but it's been completely sucked out of other departments.

It's not one thing that makes this environment difficult. It's the summation of a bunch of things. Each one of the things I'm listing below are managable and fine on their own for the most part, but together, it's made the benefits and the culture not worth it.

1. Our culture and core values used to drive EVERYTHING. Now they're distant memories that are called upon at whim, but don't really mean anything anymore.

2. The hours are unrelenting, long, and demanding. I have a hard time looking my people in the face because I've just become a delivery system for constantly bad news, with no relief in sight.

3. The expectations (performance and job scope) are constantly changing. Once you master one thing, things are completely changed for the sake of streamlining processes and making things better. But this has been happening for over a year. How can you set yourself up as a manager that people can trust if the system is always changing? You can only lean on the start-up/change thing for so long.

4. No mobility. Almost impossible to change departments. There used to be tons of opportunities, but as we've become more money conscious, those opportunities are non-existent. Even if someone leaves, they just close the position and don't backfill. They pile the extra work onto others.

5. I hate to say this, but everyone is leaving. I'm surprised that I'm mostly only seeing sales on here, because there's so much more to the company and everyone I know is feeling the same way -- "Get out now. This isn't where we were working before."

6. It's obvious that for some departments, they're doing a long, protracted layoff. They aren't firing anyone, but if anyone leaves, they're backfilled in another location that has lower overhead costs and lower expectations/requirements for the staff filling the same position.

7. Broken promises are huge here. Over-promising and under delivering has caused a lack of trust upward.

What it comes down to is that I've struggled with whether or not I wanted to leave. I have learned so much heree. I've had so many opportunities. But ultimately the benefits they wave at you, including unlimited vacation if you're salaried, is not worth it.

I hate the fact that I'm just tired. I do'nt want to come to work anymore. And i'm not sure my team wants to either.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't really know. It was a great ride, but I'm not sure that there is any advice that can address my concerns. It's just sad.

From YAY to BOO overnight........

Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) New York, NY

I worked at LivingSocial full-time for less than a year

Pros: Working from home. Got to meet all kinds of local business owners. Felt… Cons: Once new management came in, you could feel the culture changing overnight. No longer were you commended for any work, no matter how much… Advice to Senior Management: People just hate working there. Give them a reason to want to do well. Stop… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Fantastic Hands On Internship

Intern (Current Employee) Washington, DC

I have been working at LivingSocial for less than a year

Pros: Unlike the internships we've all heard of and dreaded, this program is on the opposite end of the spectrum. Although inclusive of biweekly intern meetings… Cons: The only con to my particular experience is not getting enough. I feel enough responsibility in my tasks to want to be there five days… Advice to Senior Management: I think it's time to push all units into one office. While the 15 minute walks are a… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on LivingSocial.

Worked for LivingSocial? Contribute to the Community!