There are newer employer reviews for LivingSocial

should have spent more time by the watercooler and not at my desk doing work

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Washington, DC
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at LivingSocial full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun work environment and co-workers are all really nice
Team leads are super helpful
Typical tech startup pros

Cons

Goals dont reflect vast differences in market assignments
Communication is terrible
Training is terrible

1) Turn Gchat off and do your job
2) Use your head....when you demand quantity your reps don't care about quality
3) Look into some of your (hotshots) almost everyone cheats the system and cooks their numbers (see #2)

367 Other Employee Reviews for LivingSocial (View Most Recent)

Very friendly company

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at LivingSocial full-time for less than a year

Pros

Living Social is a great place to work because everyone works together and pulls together to find the best plan of action. It is a very young company and its nice to work with people who are also trying to build their careers and find their way in the working world.

Cons

Because Living Social is such a young company it is not quite a perfectly well oiled machine, so to speak. There are definitely come kinks that need to be worked out. There were just a lot of layoffs so its hard to know for certain what your future is at the company.

Great opportunity, but not what it once was...

Current Employee - Manager In Ops  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager In Ops in Washington, DC

I have been working at LivingSocial full-time for more than a year

Pros

Now: great benefits, fun culture, relaxed work environment, super awesome people, brand recognition for future opportunities.

Cons

The sad reality (that should have been anticipated) is that this was not the place I joined. What was once a company that was founded on creativity and innovation has devolved to a focus on the bottom line. That creativity still exists for developers, but it's been completely sucked out of other departments.

It's not one thing that makes this environment difficult. It's the summation of a bunch of things. Each one of the things I'm listing below are managable and fine on their own for the most part, but together, it's made the benefits and the culture not worth it.

1. Our culture and core values used to drive EVERYTHING. Now they're distant memories that are called upon at whim, but don't really mean anything anymore.

2. The hours are unrelenting, long, and demanding. I have a hard time looking my people in the face because I've just become a delivery system for constantly bad news, with no relief in sight.

3. The expectations (performance and job scope) are constantly changing. Once you master one thing, things are completely changed for the sake of streamlining processes and making things better. But this has been happening for over a year. How can you set yourself up as a manager that people can trust if the system is always changing? You can only lean on the start-up/change thing for so long.

4. No mobility. Almost impossible to change departments. There used to be tons of opportunities, but as we've become more money conscious, those opportunities are non-existent. Even if someone leaves, they just close the position and don't backfill. They pile the extra work onto others.

5. I hate to say this, but everyone is leaving. I'm surprised that I'm mostly only seeing sales on here, because there's so much more to the company and everyone I know is feeling the same way -- "Get out now. This isn't where we were working before."

6. It's obvious that for some departments, they're doing a long, protracted layoff. They aren't firing anyone, but if anyone leaves, they're backfilled in another location that has lower overhead costs and lower expectations/requirements for the staff filling the same position.

7. Broken promises are huge here. Over-promising and under delivering has caused a lack of trust upward.

What it comes down to is that I've struggled with whether or not I wanted to leave. I have learned so much heree. I've had so many opportunities. But ultimately the benefits they wave at you, including unlimited vacation if you're salaried, is not worth it.

I hate the fact that I'm just tired. I do'nt want to come to work anymore. And i'm not sure my team wants to either.

I don't really know. It was a great ride, but I'm not sure that there is any advice that can address my concerns. It's just sad.

There are newer employer reviews for LivingSocial

Worked for LivingSocial? Contribute to the Community!