Lockheed Martin

Great Culture, stepping stone

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Sunnyvale, CA
Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

LM provides strong support to grow and advance in your career, but there isnt much room for movement. Great people, challenging work, a lot of respect.

Cons

Even though they support growth there isnt much room to grow. You hit a ceiling pretty quickly. I've been requesting more responsibility but there isnt much going on.

2684 Other Employee Reviews for Lockheed Martin (View Most Recent)

management is squeezing employees as hard as they can

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Manassas, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Manassas, VA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

The engineers you work with are mostly very smart, although there is a fair amount of dead weight left over from when the facility was an IBM site. This is a great place if you're right out of college and want the name on your resume. It's also great if you're an old timer from the IBM days, no matter how little you contribute, you provide "valuable experience" and are automatically a
    "top performer"

Cons

Management has no clue what is going on underneath them. I know someone who once wrote nothing but an insult of his manager for his annual performance self assessment. The manager didn't even notice. Once a year, we get one "performance and development report" and it has one rating on it with the vast majority of employees getting the exact same rating. I have had years when I have been told I am a top performer and am flat out better than my coworkers. I have also had years where I have accomplished very little of significant value. Every year I get the exact same assessment. Management decides what kind of employee you are in the first year you work here and is too arrogant to consider the possibility that their initial judgement might not be perfect.

Senior management has been cutting benefits annually to boost profit margins in the face of future funding reductions from government contracts. Annual raises have been pathetically small for the last three years, even though the wider industry for software engineers has not softened as much as for other defense industry employees. For employees with less than 10 years of experience, it is all but impossible to be promoted unless you are politically well connected. Strangely, older employees are still being promoted under the old IBM system of "reach x years of service and be promoted to level y." I guess budget constraints don't apply to members of the good ole boys club.

You are losing more and more experienced employees due to your insistence on squeezing as much out of us as you can. Software Engineers aren't like other engineers in that you aren't just competing with Northrop Grumman and Boeing for our talents, but also with non-defense companies like Google, Microsoft, Facebook, and Hulu. If you continue to keep our careers essentially frozen due to "industry softness" more of us will leave for these newer companies that are not experiencing a slowdown, and do have opportunities for advancement. Right now you have a lot of engineers with 20+ years experience and a lot with less than 7-8 years of experience, with very few in between. Those of us with less than 7-8 years of experience won't put up with years of career stagnation and will seek other employment. Who will take over for the long time employees when they retire and all of the mid-career employees you should be grooming to replace them have left for greener pastures?

Giant Bureaucracy where things move slowly and projects are not efficient

Former Employee - Systems Integration/Test Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Systems Integration/Test Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Lockheed Martin

Pros

This review is for Lockheed Space Systems Company - I worked there for 3 years out of college

A variety of benefits
    *Strong benefit package
    *Pay is comparable with the aerospace industry
    *Great time off - 9/80 schedule
    *Has some of the best contracts in the industry

Cons

The huge downside is the bureaucracy. They sent me and all of the other 40 or so new hires to Houston, TX...when the entire management team was in Denver. As a college hire, my manager, lead, and the rest of the team (except for a few other new hires) were all in Denver. Needless to say, this meant that my development and my opportunities were hindered.

The bureaucracy that allowed such a set-up to occur showed itself in other ways. Work was done slowly and projects were consistently behind schedule. It seemed that for every person doing real work, there were about 3 people just sitting around. This made it hard to get real work that develops skills and it made promotions and development opportunities hard to come by. I definitely don't recommend Lockheed.

Keep your teams small so that they can stay lean and efficient.

There are newer employer reviews for Lockheed Martin