There are newer employer reviews for Lockheed Martin

I am not sure if I like or dislike it here

Current Employee - Software Engineer in King of Prussia, PA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

I thought Lockheed would be a good place to gain work experience. The development programs interested me. I'm told Lockheed is a very stable place to work and you have job security.

Cons

Most lockheed employees are older. As a college hire very few people are my age. The percentage of female employees is much lower than that of other companies. Working in a classified environment sucks.

Advice to Management

Act like you actually care about your employees. I don't feel like anyone really values me. I feel like a monkey in a cubical in a room without windows.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Good compensation & benefits but unexciting projects and technology.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer Senior Staff in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer Senior Staff in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

I enjoy the people that I work with. Good compensation and benefits

Cons

The projects and technology are not that exciting. Lots of people are involved in a program and you sometimes feel that you are lost. Hard to transition to other positions. Not sure if there are opportunities for advancement.

Advice to Management

Provide opportunities for advancement.

If you like old school business, this company is for you.

Current Employee - Engineering Planner Associate in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Planner Associate in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

The products are exciting, complex and innovative. If you like working with people who are intelligent and motivated, there are lots of those kinds of employees here. There are also many employees who have worked here a very long time and are enthusiastic about the products they are working on, so that kind of enthusiasm often rubs off. Often the work on the business/operations/procurement/finance side of things is very challenging, so if you are up for a challenge this is the place for you! They have many different career paths to choose from, with detailed job descriptions and salary ranges available for searching through. There is a huge move for mentors to help provide guidance on things like career paths. They compensate you very well for having a masters degree, and they even offer tuition reimbursement for many master's programs. They allow you to have flexable work schedules and many departments offer the chance to work from home occasionally or as needed. They offer you a week when you first start working if you are in a salary grade 1-3 to learn LM's history and accomplishments and all the programs you could potentially work for. They also give you a chance to get to know other new hires and network.

Cons

Many processes within operations has not been defined or if it has been defined it has not been effectively communicated. This leads to a lot of duplication of effort and frustration. It is unclear how exactly one gets a promotion or a better raise. There are no benchmarks or guarantees for achieving a successful or high performance. No one tells you what the requirements are for getting a promotion and getting a straight answer from HR or your manager is basically impossible. There is a real "old school" work business ethic that can sometimes be sexist and is almost always very discriminatory if you are not in the "old boys club". Some programs are more military oriented than others, and those seem to survive based on machismo and intimidation.

Advice to Management

Stop paying lip service to us by telling us "employee retension is very important to us" and lying to us about "offering competitive salaries" when in reality you are never proactive about bringing your lower level employees up to the mid range of market value. Since I started working about 80% of the 110 young people I got to know and network with have left the company. You are doomed for failure once all the old gentleman's club retires and you have no one left.