Lockheed Martin

www.lockheedmartin.com

Giant Bureaucracy where things move slowly and projects are not efficient

Former Employee - Systems Integration/Test Engineer  in  Houston, TX
Former Employee - Systems Integration/Test Engineer in Houston, TX

Pros

This review is for Lockheed Space Systems Company - I worked there for 3 years out of college

A variety of benefits
*Strong benefit package
*Pay is comparable with the aerospace industry
*Great time off - 9/80 schedule
*Has some of the best contracts in the industry

Cons

The huge downside is the bureaucracy. They sent me and all of the other 40 or so new hires to Houston, TX...when the entire management team was in Denver. As a college hire, my manager, lead, and the rest of the team (except for a few other new hires) were all in Denver. Needless to say, this meant that my development and my opportunities were hindered.

The bureaucracy that allowed such a set-up to occur showed itself in other ways. Work was done slowly and projects were consistently behind schedule. It seemed that for every person doing real work, there were about 3 people just sitting around. This made it hard to get real work that develops skills and it made promotions and development opportunities hard to come by. I definitely don't recommend Lockheed.

Keep your teams small so that they can stay lean and efficient.

Other reviews for Lockheed Martin

The company has one of the worst performance rating system in the country.

Current Employee - Software Engineer Staff  in  Grand Prairie, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Staff in Grand Prairie, TX

Pros

The money, Lockheed Martin does pay their employees above average.

Cons

Engineers are penalized for not being involved in non-productive or non-work related activites. It is difficult for an engineer to be an engineer.

There is no problem with an engineer shortage in the near or far future. The problem is that management chooses to retire or layoff older engineers, in the hopes of hiring cheap labor, doesn't matter if they are inexperience. Retaining engineers should be their priority.

Disappointing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Pros

Working for LM is beneficial because they carry such gravitas in Defense and Government IT. They have set up excellent processes for sharing information between members of your unit and area of expertise. They have good online training courses available for employees and their family members, and the tuition reimbursement is reasonable. The benefits are good, and the 401k matching was good when I worked there.

I took advantage of telecommuting possibilities and the opportunity to participate in Kaizen, Lean Sigma and other process improvement methods.

Cons

The pay is substandard and everyone is well aware that, on some IT contracts, you are nothing more than a warm body filling a space on a contract that was awarded to the low bidder. Nothing was done to retain talented employees in our unit. Little appeared to be done to place people whose contracts were lost or modified in such a way as to eliminate their positions.

There was little opportunity to move into a new position or get promoted. The promised option to move into management was actually replaced with fake titles that involved no additional money and no additional real responsibility.

There is a culture of deceit and lying pervasive in LM, at least in some units. Stop lying! Don't just say your people are your greatest asset, mean it!

There are newer employer reviews for Lockheed Martin.

Worked for Lockheed Martin? Contribute to the Community!