There are newer employer reviews for Lockheed Martin

Enterprise business services (EBS) great place to work but not for long.

Current Employee - Computer Support in Mayaguez, PR
Current Employee - Computer Support in Mayaguez, PR

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

you get to learn a ton of tools that will help you out in any employment, and very useful for future positions. the people at the site are very helpful. You are just an IM away from every employee in the whole company. The take immense advantage of learning management systems and Microsoft products making it easier to work.

Cons

Not always compensated as you should, you mite be the best but the performance metric is crazy, you go above a beyond you quota and they nitpick because of tardiness. Its very monotonous work, you get sick and tied of taking calls after a while.

Advice to Management

listen better to employee complaints and apply improvements

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

"Disclaimer” Company is very large, this review is based on eight months under a single PM on a single contract.

Current Employee - IT UNIX Systems Administrator in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - IT UNIX Systems Administrator in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Really cannot say that I have one. I took this position after being out of work for eight months. I did take a 10,000 pay cut from my last position with General Dynamics (85,000 to 75,000) and that’s after an initial offer of 45,000. Everyone I talked with in the shop (12 people) said they were also low-balled and had to negotiate for higher salary. On the up side access to company intranet resources has been very easy and there is a great deal of information on all aspects of Lockheed Martin on there intranet. Education resources are also plentiful; they even have paths towards industry certifications within the company.

Cons

This is a large company and not very personable. Keep in mind these comments are based on a single contract with one PM and may not be indicative of the company as a whole. Current management is very poor. Have seen my PM three times in eight months, he works 10 min from my workspace. He has mislead me at times and stalled at others when I have requested information. As the face of the Lockheed Martin for the employees under him (122 people), he has been slow in interpreting policy leaving employees confused and unable to effectively plan career objectives.

Advice to Management

When a problem is identified, FIX IT. Do not try to make everyone happy while fixing the problem. Utilize company code of ethics and business mission as guidance for fixing problem. Pay more attention to customer needs and requirements. Take the time matching an employee's skills with each contract position. Do not fill positions with warm bodies to meet a deadline.

2. Rated "best place to launch a career," but when the honeymoon's over, you gotta love what you're doing.

Current Employee - Senior Aeronautical Engineer in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Aeronautical Engineer in Marietta, GA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

The defense industry is stable, and the work is interesting. You'll never run out of questions about your job at cocktail parties. You can always find projects you can sink your teeth in, and you'll work with some enthusiastic and smart people. You can become an expert in something very few people can do -- build aircraft. There is plenty of opportunity to make a good living for you and your family. If you have hobbies and/or community involvement, you can usually flex your working hours to accommodate them.

Cons

You're not going to get rich. Or recognized in a satisfying way for that matter. Some people receive rewards, usually not more than a couple hundred dollars, because they made the company tens of thousands (or even millions) of dollars. The aforementioned enthusiastic and smart people are often pursuing other avenues like a side business or education, 1) because they can and 2) they realize the limitations of working in a huge corporation. Also, as a Gen Xer, I feel the pinch from both generations beside me. The company is hiring tons of college graduates because they're cheap and we need a workforce when the baby boomers retire, and the baby boomers dominate the workforce as it is. I don't see a promotion into leadership for at least 5 years, maybe longer with this ridiculous stock market.

Advice to Management

I still don't understand how "leveraging diversity is critical to our corporation's success." Perhaps you could better explain this concept to us, or better yet, return the focus to building aircraft.