Lockheed Martin

www.lockheedmartin.com
  www.lockheedmartin.com
There are newer employer reviews for Lockheed Martin

Interesting project, good work life balance

Current Employee - Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
Current Employee - Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Lockheed has exciting programs to work on and is very flexible about schedules and telecommuting.

Cons

Old school mentality. Needs to be better about motivating employees.

2529 Other Employee Reviews for Lockheed Martin (View Most Recent)

Good place to start career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

A lot of training and educational assitstance

Cons

Recognition for performance is hard to come by

Try to retain Younger employees with incentives

It Is What You Make of It

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Here's the secret to success at Lockheed Martin: stretch assignments. If you come in as a new hire and wait for your lead to get work you ARE average. My mentees regularly complain they get an average rating (we are rated on a true curve) when they think they are knocking it out of the park.

You can come in and watch an hour of YouTube and troll Reddit all you like. You will probably even make E3 without much trouble, but you will not get many opportunities. No one cares you had a 4.0 at a top 25 university, we all did. We respect the time you served your country, but you have to keep working for us, too.

At Lockheed you don't even have to work overtime to be above average. You have to stretch. Ask for more work when you are close to done. Ask for work in an area you specialize. If you get hired in bonding parts but you did research in optics tell someone! They will respect it and find a position for you! Talk to your managers. Ask them how they got where they are. I guarantee they worked nights, they screwed things up, they made mistakes, but it was because they were paving the road through hard work and innovation. If you make a mistake here, it is ok. Learn from it and don't let it stop you.

Cons

Nothing will be given to you. The "rack and stack" (curve-based rating system) means that management can't hand-hold everyone without damaging other peoples' ratings. It can seem opaque at times, but if you ask someone that was rated above you what they did for the year, after they finish explaining it will put you in your place. Due to the size of the company your cube-mate may be working a project on the side you have no clue about.

You should just post the rankings publicly. People get frustrated because they don't know how much the top performers are really doing.

There are newer employer reviews for Lockheed Martin