A good job if you are proactive and can tolerate red tape.

Current Employee - Senior Electro-Optics Engineer  in  Palo Alto, CA
Current Employee - Senior Electro-Optics Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Good steady pay check. If you network correctly you can find some very technically interesting cutting edge programs. the benefits are good. you get to work a 9/80 schedule (every other friday off). you get three weeks of vacation, flex time and you can work on your off days to build up to two weeks of additional vacation time. They're also ok with you working from home from time to time. Very accommodating as employers go.

Cons

Red tape and excessive process. If you don't network properly you can can easily get pigeon holed in a boring uncreative job. You can spend way too much time doing mind numbing documentation because your following some arcane directive that wasn't originally crafted with your project in mind but which got blindly applied to all programs across the company

cut out 90% of our mandatory processes.

Other Reviews for Lockheed Martin

Job security, little overtime, tons of process, incredibly large software systems.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Lockheed provides a secure job. Many employees have worked here for over 10 years. I have worked here for 7 years, and have never worked overtime. They are flexible with work schedules - I work four 10 hour days per week. They are always well funded, so I usually don't have to cut corners in my work or step over trash in the hallways. The software development is usually interesting because the company focuses on large scale, high tech national defense products.

Cons

Process, Process, and more process. Its hard to sneeze without filling out some spreadsheet form and submitting it to a committee. For the most part, you don't have much freedom in choosing tools or design approach. However, if you are very passionate about changing something, you can go through all the red tape to make it happen - Ive done it. They just make it very difficult. Also, since the programs are very large, you become a very small cog in a very large device. So, you learn very little about how the rest of the world (real world?) does software development.

I think management is doing a fine job. The problems I've described are due to the size of the systems developed.

decent place to work

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

it's a job in a difficult economic time.

Cons

not much of a salary.

more pay

There are newer employer reviews for Lockheed Martin.

Worked for Lockheed Martin? Contribute to the Community!