Great place to work

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer Senior Staff in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Electrical Engineer Senior Staff in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Leading edge technical work in the area of defense contracting

Cons

Large company with lots of red tape

Advice to Management

Keep lower levels involved in overall scheme of things

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Lockheed Martin--Great company for the family--Not so great for the employee.

Current Employee - Technical Publications Coordinator Senior in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Technical Publications Coordinator Senior in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Very family oriented. Believe in a diverse work environment and the ethics has a REAL place in the work place. Management didn't just preach diversity and ethics they LIVED it!!

Cons

Some management has just been in place too long. Some of the upper management was so old that they didn't even know how to use Outlook. Made their understanding of what their high tech oriented younger employees did for a living nearly impossible. Many times the younger employees who were more capable then the management and manipulating the systems and working with data were either rated too low and just neutral simply because their leadership had no grasp of what they were doing. LM was supposed to be a Functional line of employment company but many times employees were placed direclty under a program manager or lead supervisor. This creates major issues during review time as an admin might have to compete with engineers for her raises and bonuses. If the admin was correctly placed in the Functional group then the admin competed with other admins during review time. LM senior managment just couldn't grasp that review admins along side engineers was not only wrong it was damaging to employee morale.

Advice to Management

Ensure that you employees are placed in their correct functional group and that they don't report directly to a program manager or lead supervisor. This creates conflict for the employee if the functional manager is telling the employee to follow one company policy but the program manager or lead supervisor is telling the employee to follow program policy.

2. Take it with a Grain of Redwood Tree

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Owego, NY
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Owego, NY

I worked at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Lockheed Martin has a few compelling reasons to work for it. First and foremost, it's very flexible on time. When I was first there, I worked a 5a to 1p shift, because I found that I liked being out in the Sun and that worked for me. Later on, I switched to a 9/80 plan (4/40 even for a while). The benefits themselves are quite reasonable. As for location, you have plenty of chance to move around--either up the chain of command, or across the country, to different style places. Locations in Owego, DC Metropolitan Area, Colorado Springs -- Plenty of places to configure your lifestyle to your needs

Cons

I'm sure it has been said plenty of times, however red tape is probably the single largest downside to the corporation. It is extraordinarily infuriating when the process of doing something takes more than twice the amount of time to do the thing itself. Lockheed's current internal motto is: "One company, One team". This would be wonderful if it were in the least bit true. It's not. The attempts are being made to do this through reorgs and purchasing rearrangements (ie dropping all DB2 licenses and Lenovo purchasing to remove the association of the Owego site with the days of old with IBM).

Advice to Management

Consider your inefficiencies with a redwood tree, not a grain of salt. Separate code from markup, reconsider maintenance window time-frames. For physical products, leverage an interaction with people, rather than blindly sticking to six-sigma reports.