There are newer employer reviews for Lockheed Martin

Overall, great place to start your career

Current Employee - Subcontract Administrator Asc  in  Fort Worth, TX
Current Employee - Subcontract Administrator Asc in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than a year

Pros

Plenty of resources and knowledgable people
Education Assistance
Competitive Salary/Benefits
Excellent Work/Life Balance
Decent Management

Cons

Typical big company; very political. The opportunity to move around in the company is there, but unless you don't network or "know someone" those opportunities are almost non-existant, regardless how good of an employee you are. The level in which your job is based on could more than likely be inaccurate, as it is based off of years of professional and relevant experience. That said, most military experience will not carry over, for some reason.

Listen to employees and help them to advance their career. Whether that be financially or in a new job role altogether.

2346 Other Employee Reviews for Lockheed Martin (View Most Recent)

Great experience, excellent LDP programs

Former Employee - Industrial Engineer  in  Camden, AR
    Former Employee - Industrial Engineer in Camden, AR

I worked at Lockheed Martin as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Treat to interns as a professional

Cons

Help with transportation for interns.

A company that cares about stock price and nothing else.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Goodyear, AZ
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Goodyear, AZ

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time

Pros

If you are able to find a good group within the company, junior engineers can get tons of diverse experience and responsibility. If you want a job that can help you build a resume for your next job, LM is perfect.

Probably the best part of working for Lockheed is that there are thousands of groups within the company and you are reasonably free to move around until you find one that you like.

Cons

When you start at Lockheed, you'll hear people joke that we're the company that Dilbert is based on. After a year or two, you'll find out that those people weren't joking. While Lockheed can shower responsibilities and experience on young employees, all promotions are based on years of experience and all raises are based on sucking up to management. This is the sort of company where you could single-handedly win a $25 million contract and be turned down for a promotion because you are 1 month of experience short of the requirement. By the way, that's not hypothetical. In my time at Lockheed, I've seen situations just like that play out... twice!

Lockheed is a silo'd company, so it really feels like a loose alliance of hundreds of small-medium companies. It's sort of an interesting place to work, until you realize that all parts of Lockheed fiercely compete with each other. We operate like a pack of wild animals, constantly fighting each other for food, but remaining together for survival. This creates a toxic, ultra-competitive environment where people are rewarded for betraying the guy down the hall because he's from a different part of the company. I've seen people get their yearly raise reduced for helping other parts of the company win new business.

The last important thing to know is that they've been making small benefit and quality-of-life cuts every few months for the last ~3 years. They're usually small, but they keep happening like clockwork and they're adding up. I've had multiple raises and a promotion and my total compensation is the same as when I started. In essence, good performance is rewarded with just enough of a raise to keep your salary from shrinking.

Lay off any indirect employee with no direct reports. If you aren't leading anyone, you shouldn't be getting executive leadership pay. Take a good, hard look at a lot of overhead and indirect jobs. There are hundreds of people whose jobs made sense when they were hired 10 years ago, but no longer provide value to the company.

It really hurts morale when management cuts benefits because of the economy, but continues to spend millions of dollars on lavish executive "conferences." (Read: parties)

End the internal competition. I know it's the way you've always done business, but we're intentionally tearing our company apart.

There are newer employer reviews for Lockheed Martin

Worked for Lockheed Martin? Contribute to the Community!