Lockheed Martin

Great place to work!

Current Employee - College Student Tech Senior in Herndon, VA
Current Employee - College Student Tech Senior in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Great bunch of people to work with. I really enjoy coming into work and actually working as a team towards a common goal. Everyone seems very knowledgeable and easy to work with. Also if you work late (5:30) you get free dinner.

Cons

No real downsides to the job so far.

Respond to emails.

2519 Other Employee Reviews for Lockheed Martin (View Most Recent)

What its like to work at LMSSC

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Lockheed Martin

Pros

The company does have a pretty good benefits package. In addition they allow you to flex your time pretty easily. I think there's a lot more control over the amount of hours you work than most other places.

Cons

Management/HR seems to have a complete inability to recognize employees for exceptional work performance. You must do your time regardless of how well you perform.
    Additionally, LM likes to tout how much training/education they offer but much of it is not really relevant to core engineering skills. If you want be a hardcore design engineer, LM is not the place for you.

Learn to recognize performers in your group and offer try to create opportunities for them to improve or advance. Management philosophy needs to include "growing" thier employees as well as ensuring the tasks at hand are performed well.

Lockheed Martin - Beware of HR

Former Employee - Project and Planning Operations Representative in Rockville, MD

I worked at Lockheed Martin

Pros

-The company has a lot of prestige.
    -There are some very talented people working there. Unfortunately, these people are completely unappreciated.
    -Good opportunities to learn on the job and take on more responsibilities (due to short-staffing, unfortunately).

Cons

-Very low pay. If you're going to work for LM, be sure to negotiate aggressively before accepting the job offer. From what I saw, management was always willing to negotiate and there was a lot of variation in what employees with the same job made salary-wise. This variation had NOTHING to do with talent, hard work or qualifications and everything to do with how much you demanded up front. Also, be confident during the interview process, especially when dealing with HR. HR never seemed to know anything about the different departments, so if you sounded like you knew everything, they assumed you knew everything and moved you forward.
    -Once you're at LM, expect minimal pay increases that sometimes don't even cover cost of living.
    -Their merit system is a joke. On the plus side, if you just want to work your 40 hours a week and put minimum effort into your job and maybe spend time with your family, you can do that here and you'll get the same rating as that person working 80 hours who's always going above and beyond and who is a real team player. However, if you're that 80+ hour team player, it doesn't work in your favor and no matter how hard you try, management will always find a reason to not give you that top rating.
    -Non-functioning HR department. Sometimes I was not paid, I did not receive my health benefits the first year on the job due to a "computer glitch," and there were numerous other issues with actually using all the great benefits LM promises. Numerous other co-workers, at least in my division, had similar issues, though none as bad as mine. Basically, LM has a HR helpline that is expected to handle most of your HR issues, including issues with pay. Some of these helpline employees really try, but they only have the most basic information and the whole process is reminiscent of the DMV. For example, when I did not receive a pay check one week, I called my HR rep who told me to call the helpline. I called the helpline and they told me to call the HR rep. I went round and round until my manager and her supervisor, who were wonderful, stepped in and fought for several days to straighten out the situation.
    -Chronic short-staffing. This really depends on how the contract is structured. Some contracts have it so that LM bills the client by the hour. These jobs are very cushy and employees can take forever to get the job done. Our contract was the opposite, we received a set pot of money to work with, so we had 50% of the employees we needed and that we had claimed we would have when we made the bid. What this meant was long hours (sometimes 80-100, usually 60 hours a week), working on holidays (I worked Easter, Fourth of July, Labor Day, for example), and LM was always pushing us to work more while pushing us to be more 'efficient.' At the same time, there were people in the unit who were playing around on the Internet all day, running off to Atlantic City unannounced for several days and who left early at 3pm most days. They were not fired and received the same performance reviews all the other employees received. So if you want to just get by, this is a great company.

Take care of your employees, please. Morale was terrible at the company, largely because of poor HR and overwork. Improve pay.

There are newer employer reviews for Lockheed Martin