There are newer employer reviews for Lockheed Martin

Great company, great mission

Current Employee - Engineering Manager  in  King of Prussia, PA
Current Employee - Engineering Manager in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Opportunity to support national security, exposure to high technology, inclusive culture.
Great work environment, reasonable benefits.

Cons

Career mobility can seem slow for new college hires - it takes a while to get through the ranks.
Opportunities ebb and flow with new contracts, requires motivated employee to seek out and find the best opportunities.

2360 Other Employee Reviews for Lockheed Martin (View Most Recent)

If you like to be challenged, this is not the place to be (new College grad)

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Corporate experience
    - Learn how projects are managed
    - If you're the type of person that just cares about money and getting your workday out of the way as quickly as possible and going home, then you'll like it here, and won't mind the cons below.
    - Free access to Books24x7 and Safari books Online

Cons

I came to Lockheed directly from college with a degree in computer science. I've been with the company for about a year, and here is my experience:

1) For a great majority of my time here, I had absolutely nothing to do. That's right, I'm being paid to just sit in my office and "wait" for some someone to assign some work. There were a number of people just like me, just wandering around the halls, hanging out in the labs with nothing to do. To make matters worse, they would still hire more people into the program to fill vacant positions, which makes no sense.

2) When I did have work, it usually involved trivial things like updating documentation, updating some records in a database, etc. At first I thought this was just overhead for some bigger project that the team I was on was working on. As it turned out, my whole team's job was to simple manage some word documents and keep them updated, and do other vary trivial tasks. This was all, like a slap in the face to me coming from a computer science background and having actually solved real world problems. The worst part is that most of the people on my team carried the title of "Software Engineer". In fact, my manager's title was "Senior Software Engineering Mngr", but I doubt they knew anything about software (Other than using Microsoft Office).

3) There is subtle slogan around the company "Selling yesterday's technologies at tomorrow prices". That is so right, and accurately describes Lockheed (at least IS&GS).

4) Since I started, people have been leaving the company on a regular basis. Most of the new hires that I started with lasted a few months and then quit, mainly for the same reasons listed above.

5) The most useful skill that I was able to apply to my job in my time here was my Microsoft Office skills. If I knew that I would be doing this, I would not have gone to one of the best engineering schools in the country, I would have gone to Devry instead.

We give you resumes for a reason, and expect for you the leverage our skills. Since I've been with the company, I've honestly felt that my IQ has dropped a little bit due to the lack of critical thinking that my job required. I've spent hours after work taking advantage of the free online books that Lockheed provided, studying new technologies, languages, and challenged myself outside of my "software engineering" job with side projects that actually requires a software engineering mindset, because Lockheed fails to do so.

Don't waste your time

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

There are good people that work there.

Cons

The threat of being laid-off hangs over everyone's head, the company hardly forces anyone with 30+ years to retire leaving those with barely a few years there with WARN notices. Lockheed is definately a "Good Ole Boys" network. VPs sponsors those to promote on the fast track when it's not WHAT you know, it's WHO you know.

It's time to retire employees that are thrown around from program to program, using their seniority (30+ years) to push out new talent and those that rate as successful contributors. I've seen this happen way too many times. The company really needs to clean up top heavy management as well.

There are newer employer reviews for Lockheed Martin

Worked for Lockheed Martin? Contribute to the Community!