Lockheed Martin
3.4 of 5 2,187 reviews
www.lockheedmartin.com Bethesda, MD 5000+ Employees

A great place to START your career, and possibly END your career, but not so good to GROW your career

Systems Engineer (Former Employee)
Herndon, VA

ProsLockheed Martin is a great place for recent graduates to start their careers and prove themselves. From that respect, they are actually pretty good at providing opportunities for people where other companies might want to see more experience. Their sheer size also provides a lot of breadth as far as opportunities to work with different government agencies/customers, various technologies and geographic locations.

ConsNot so great if you're looking to grow your career (especially with regard to salary growth). Lockheed Martin is known in the defense contractor space for under-compensating employees. You would think this means cost savings for the government, but in reality most contractors charge about the same, meaning Lockheed is just skimming more off the top for themselves (and to pay upper and middle management cushy salaries.) You're better off finding a smaller company, with smaller overhead that can afford to pay you a better salary. Also, it's a crapshoot when it comes to the "work/life balance" they advertise. I worked on a program where you were expected to put in 60-70 hour weeks (5 hours of which you worked for free), but I also worked an IRAD which was a typical 40 hour week. Corporate culture is standard big company culture. The shareholder is number 1. They will do everything they can to maximize their revenue (how much they charge for you to the government) and minimize their cost (how much you get in salary, how many days off, fringe benefits, etc.) The system is set up to reward the top management more money and stocks to treat their regular employees poorly and convince them to stay for as long as possible.

Advice to Senior Management"Market" surveys of salaries are deceptive statistics. If you continue to use these as an excuse to under-compensate employees, the good ones leave and you're stuck holding the bag with the non-performers. This of course leads to unhappy customers, inability to execute on contracts and (eventual) loss of future contracts and revenue.

Worst place to work for young engineers

Senior Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee)
    Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: 1. Compared to other aerospace companies, LM paid higher initially, but then they rip you off big time later 2. If you know how to do… Cons: 1. Incompetence people are in manager positions 2. Positions are broken up into smaller chunks, so they can bill the government more (unethical). This is… Advice to Senior Management: 1. Let people do what they were hired on for. If you don't know how to do something, it's ok to shut up and… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Definitely not boring. Lots to do in very little time.

Project Manager (Former Employee)
    Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Benefits Telecommuting if manager feels comfortable with it Work/Life balance with flex… Cons: Have less personnel to do the work since many layoffs… Advice to Senior Management: Take notice of who is really doing the work and make sure they… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Lockheed Martin.

Worked for Lockheed Martin? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Lockheed Martin reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Lockheed Martin CEO Marillyn Hewson. All reviews posted anonymously by Lockheed Martin employees.