Lockheed Martin

www.lockheedmartin.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Lockheed Martin

Many interesting opportunities, pay not so great

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Many unique projects, not impossibly hard to move across the corporation

Cons

Pay will never be close enough to what other companies will offer

Early career folks such as myself are leaving by the truckload, you know it, and you know why, there's not enough leadership opportunities, performance assessments are a joke and merit increases seem to eternally suck. The only way to grow a decent salary is to leave the company and come back with an offer, or be a TA to some director/VP (essentially be someone's pet).

2677 Other Employee Reviews for Lockheed Martin (View Most Recent)

Great high tech DoD contractor

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Moorestown, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Moorestown, NJ

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Technology, smart people, govt contractor

Cons

Complexity in most everything they do

Overcommunicate!

If you like to be challenged, this is not the place to be (new College grad)

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Corporate experience
    - Learn how projects are managed
    - If you're the type of person that just cares about money and getting your workday out of the way as quickly as possible and going home, then you'll like it here, and won't mind the cons below.
    - Free access to Books24x7 and Safari books Online

Cons

I came to Lockheed directly from college with a degree in computer science. I've been with the company for about a year, and here is my experience:

1) For a great majority of my time here, I had absolutely nothing to do. That's right, I'm being paid to just sit in my office and "wait" for some someone to assign some work. There were a number of people just like me, just wandering around the halls, hanging out in the labs with nothing to do. To make matters worse, they would still hire more people into the program to fill vacant positions, which makes no sense.

2) When I did have work, it usually involved trivial things like updating documentation, updating some records in a database, etc. At first I thought this was just overhead for some bigger project that the team I was on was working on. As it turned out, my whole team's job was to simple manage some word documents and keep them updated, and do other vary trivial tasks. This was all, like a slap in the face to me coming from a computer science background and having actually solved real world problems. The worst part is that most of the people on my team carried the title of "Software Engineer". In fact, my manager's title was "Senior Software Engineering Mngr", but I doubt they knew anything about software (Other than using Microsoft Office).

3) There is subtle slogan around the company "Selling yesterday's technologies at tomorrow prices". That is so right, and accurately describes Lockheed (at least IS&GS).

4) Since I started, people have been leaving the company on a regular basis. Most of the new hires that I started with lasted a few months and then quit, mainly for the same reasons listed above.

5) The most useful skill that I was able to apply to my job in my time here was my Microsoft Office skills. If I knew that I would be doing this, I would not have gone to one of the best engineering schools in the country, I would have gone to Devry instead.

We give you resumes for a reason, and expect for you the leverage our skills. Since I've been with the company, I've honestly felt that my IQ has dropped a little bit due to the lack of critical thinking that my job required. I've spent hours after work taking advantage of the free online books that Lockheed provided, studying new technologies, languages, and challenged myself outside of my "software engineering" job with side projects that actually requires a software engineering mindset, because Lockheed fails to do so.

There are newer employer reviews for Lockheed Martin