Lockheed Martin
3.4 of 5 2,179 reviews
www.lockheedmartin.com Bethesda, MD 5000+ Employees

Cold, Stiff, but Ethical

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Rockville, MD

ProsThere is a real disposition to work/life balance. Flexible hours are the norm. That said, if you get the wrong management crew you might be under pressure to work long weeks - but at flexible times. It certainly is of value when raising a family.

Salary is good. Company is becoming extremely cheap ("the new reality"!) but they do keep promises. And they make a strong effort not to lay people off.

There is an encouragement towards diversity of workforce and diversity of thought. Managers are generally well-trained and have good perspective beyond the crises of the day.

ConsThere is not a particular bent towards software development. It shows. You need to go through layers of process to as much as download a free IDE onto your PC. We're frequently the opposite of tech savvy (not sure if there is a term). A mania towards security, combined with layers of beauracracy on purchasing or even downloading software tools, does discourage innovation.

The company is full of older workers desperately trying to hang on - and do any job - long enough for their pension to kick in. Major topics of conversation ere are early retirements and whether individuals will survive long enough to get their pensions - not solving problems and creating things.

There is not an effective base for software management where I work. I've seen high-profile efforts run badly by "manager"s who have no real life experience, and who flounder and cause chaos. This company knows how to build many things, but not so much software.

Advice to Senior ManagementI've got to think that if you had an environment that lent itself more to rapid software development and associated innovation, that it would pay off. You should worry less about process and more about giving people room to create.

You should be embracing the "Agile" software development model to a greater extent. But you can't, because you've got a culture full of beauraucrats who can't coexist with it. So you ossify, day by day.

Not atypically for a defense contractor, you sometimes reward people for telling you what you want to hear, and for pretending to work hard by always being in the office. There's value in the contrary opinions, and value in working smart. I've seen people promoted well out of their depth by virtue of long hours and ingratiation; they're time bombs waiting to go off.

Good start salary and benefits. Flexible work schedule in many depts.

Senior Staff Finance Analyst (Current Employee)
    King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Excellent benefits/start salary. Good ethics and processes for reporting… Cons: Difficult to move up, management stresses "lateral" moves (no salary increases). Annual increases 1-2% below COL.… Advice to Senior Management: They need to walk the talk. Improve promotional opportunities and… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Corporate HR is a nightmare

Finance Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: - Amazing Program Management - High potential to excel and be given rewarding opportunities - Opportunity for travel - Fabulous FP&A Management - Opportunity to perform roles two… Cons: - Promotions are based on Seniority and not on performance - Corporate HR representatives do not respond to emails or requests for information. - Although they promise… Advice to Senior Management: Compensate based on Performance. Do not leave salary and performance decisions up to one HR BP that does not even take the time to… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Lockheed Martin.

Worked for Lockheed Martin? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Lockheed Martin reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Lockheed Martin CEO Marillyn Hewson. All reviews posted anonymously by Lockheed Martin employees.