Lockheed Martin

www.lockheedmartin.com
  www.lockheedmartin.com
There are newer employer reviews for Lockheed Martin

very good company to work for

I worked at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Cool type of work!!! Space, satellite and much more

Cons

not secure anymore, too big to establish your identity

too many management

2530 Other Employee Reviews for Lockheed Martin (View Most Recent)

Golden hancuffs

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time

Pros

Above market salary. Good benefits, lots of corporate discounts (second only to Coca-Cola according to my cell phone manager friend). There are definite benefits to being an employee.

Cons

The salary is highly attractive, but it does make movement to other positions difficult. You essentially get priced out of most other organizations, which I guess helps retention. Does make it difficult if you're in a position that doesn't fit for you.

This place could be a mess in 5-10 years

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Manassas, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Manassas, VA

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very smart coworkers. Interesting work. Looks great on a resume.

Cons

Pay is substantially below the average for software engineers. Management doesn't realize that we have other options than the stagnant defense industry. A number of great employees have left for higher pay and better benefits, leaving fewer people stretched thinner and thinner. Management's spreadsheet based approach to staffing projects doesn't recognize that you can't replace someone with 5-10 years of experience with a fresh college hire or someone new to software development. I have serious doubts about our future ability to meet our future requirements given the steady decline in the talent pool over the last few years.

Management only values "leadership" traits in evaluating employees. If you don't aspire to be a non-technical manager yourself, you have no chance of being evaluated as anything better than middle of the pack. That means you will get a paltry annual raise that doesn't even keep up with inflation, let alone industry salary growth. It also means that no matter how good you are, you can't be promoted without at least pretending to want to do management-type activities. If you aren't good at what management values, no amount of logic and reason will convince them that you are a good employee. The performance appraisal system is sufficiently vague and nebulous that any manager can give any employee any assessment and find an excuse to justify it.

Senior management is severely disconnected from reality. They once sent out, in one day, two emails, one of which congratulated everyone on record quarterly profits, the other of which announced a deep round of layoffs. Layoffs have been an annual occurrence for four years, drastically depressing morale.

Take a look at what leading SOFTWARE companies are paying their software engineers. Your competition for us nerds isn't just Northrup Grumman and Boeing. It also includes companies like Microsoft, Google, and Facebook, all of which pay substantially more. The economy won't be horrible forever. When it improves there will be a mass exodus of people no longer afraid of losing the stability of a big old defense company like Lockheed Martin. Who will execute on your contracts when the only employees you have left are those coasting to retirement and those too young to realize they're getting a raw deal?

There are newer employer reviews for Lockheed Martin