Lockheed Martin

www.lockheedmartin.com

The future is now

Current Employee - Designer  in  Fort Worth, TX
Current Employee - Designer in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

Work, salary, freedom to be

Cons

The wrong people managing other people

Other reviews for Lockheed Martin

An odd company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Newtown, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newtown, PA

Pros

+ Incredibly interesting technical work.
    + Very technically talented coworkers.
    + Access to absolutely top end, world class equipment and facilities.
    + With the right attitude, you can learn an impressively diverse skill set here.
    + If you want to drink the Kool-Aid, it's not very hard to jump into some worthless leadership/rotational/development program and ride someone's coattails into a low value/high pay corporate gig.

Cons

- Clings to 1960's style "Company as family" propaganda, when the relationship is clearly one sided. LM will show you no loyalty, but seems to expect it.
    - Clock-punch mentality. To some, value of work = how early they arrived at the office
    - Beyond inept at talent retention.
    - Awful at giving promotions; clings to service time model (see 1960's critique above)
    - Kafkaesque bureaucratic environment.
    - While talented, many of your coworkers are bitter.
    - Layers upon layers of upper management and executives.

The Good, The Bad, and The Very Very Ugly

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

Very good salary and benefits. Significant projects of national importance. Extremely accomplished, talented and intelligent colleagues. Respected employer.

Cons

Lockheed Martin’s current and long-term business outlook is very poor due to government budget cutbacks. Mostly under the radar, up to 30,000 layoffs have happened in the last several years, and more layoffs are coming. My LM colleagues are looking over their shoulders for the ax; morale is absolutely terrible in Sunnyvale, CA, and likely at most other company facilities. Just last week, LM targeted several new facilities for closure, with another several thousand jobs lost.

There used to be many development and educational programs available, but most have been cut in the last couple of years (or dried of support), so many fine employees are now left on their own, with little or no support (outside of their manager's advice) in their efforts to advance.

Work/life balance varies wildly, some are lucky to be working a normal and easy 40-hour week. For my first five years, I worked between 55-70 hours a week; my last eight years have averaged 48. Some very senior managers (or those on proposals) work seven days a week, and haven’t had a day off in a year, or more.

For the last 8-10 years, the company’s mantra has been “We never forget who we’re working for,” urging even more hard work and sacrifice from you, all because the company supports our government and military (which I also strongly do). But, in the end, it’s just propaganda; LM has turned out to be just another company wanting to make money, and (in the words of a company VP) they “will get everything they can from you.” The only things proven to be really important to LM are profits, the shareholders, and the customers buying the products. Those customers end up calling many of the shots in project engineering and management, and on many occasions, they have ruined an engineer's, manager's, Director's or VP's career on a whim or a disagreement, or just a personal issue in a meeting. Employees are disposable to Lockheed Martin; those that are truly valued and respected are rare. Running afoul of a company policy is just fine when the company does it and it benefits the company, but when an employee does it, it's big trouble, and likely termination. I've seen (and heard of this) many times.

And finally, watch your back with HR – they have a very long history of protecting select people (especially those within HR) who blatantly and frequently break the rules or mistreat their people. For years, I’ve seen far too much wrongdoing (and stood up against what I could - I likely was laid off because of it). LM surely does not want those things coming to public light, so with your (pretty good) severance package comes with a big string and a very strong warning – you saw nothing, and you will say nothing.

Practice what you preach, and really start valuing employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Lockheed Martin.

Worked for Lockheed Martin? Contribute to the Community!