There are newer employer reviews for Lockheed Martin

Cog in a machine

Current Employee - Team Leader in Rockville, MD
Current Employee - Team Leader in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good medical insurance plan. Makes sense for a huge company.

I took work home occasionally, but I did that for myself. There was never pressure to work outside the 40-hour work week, so that's a pro for people with families.

Cons

Maybe the experiences are different when you were hired by the company proper and not absorbed as part of a company that got purchased by them, but I never got the feeling upper management cared about us. It's hard to keep personal morale up with that kind of environment.

I thought it was silly that our internal upper management was forced to jump through all the hoops of LM's annual review process, when it was never made clear by any management - ours or LM's - how we could work better, individually or as a team, to increase productivity and be promoted and/or get raises.

Not sure if this only applied to us "stepchildren" but I was a team leader and was required to provide feedback on my team members' work. One of our lower management bosses that was handling annual reviews for those staff said she had to change my ratings because there was a specific # of people who could be ranked at the highest level of merit and therefore those who weren't at that level weren't eligible for the best raises. While I realize that's standard in corporate, I did not anticipate this and got out there as soon as I could.

If you're going to spend the money and effort to take over other companies, you should do your job and get to know the people who are now working for you, or they'll leave.

2418 Other Employee Reviews for Lockheed Martin (View Most Recent)

Great people and work. Poor management.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at Lockheed Martin as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule (9/80)
    Working on an exciting project
    Nice and helpful people
    Virtual work available for full-time employees

I enjoyed working with everyone on my team. Everyone was laid-back and helpful. The technology was also exciting. They offer good learning resources (Books 24x7), and they have learning seminars on things like Air Traffic Control. These were fun to attend, and I learned a lot from them.

Cons

Pay below average
    Business is completely dependent on the federal budget. In IS&GS, especially in the DC area, I don't see this changing any time soon.
    Employment cuts mean that employees remaining could be forced to different work. Some software engineers had to become testers instead because of layoffs.

I wanted to work here full-time after being an intern. My software team lead was very interested in having me back, but my manager did not seem to have much interest in what I was doing. During the school year, I was kept on payroll. I ended up getting an offer for full-time employment after emailing my manager several times. This offer was not competitive with other offers I received, and Lockheed did not seem willing to negotiate. Management seemed to want to hire cheaper software engineers to replace the higher-paid ones that had been laid off. This did not make me feel good about my long-term prospects with the company.

Defense player on the offensive.

I worked at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Large corporation with divisions throughout the U.S.

Cons

Departments within each division can be "tribal" .... in other words if you do not have close ties within the organization or senior leader as a sponsor ... you will not get too far.

Can't grow a business by getting smaller.

There are newer employer reviews for Lockheed Martin