There are newer employer reviews for Lockheed Martin

Defense player on the offensive.

I worked at Lockheed Martin

Pros

Large corporation with divisions throughout the U.S.

Cons

Departments within each division can be "tribal" .... in other words if you do not have close ties within the organization or senior leader as a sponsor ... you will not get too far.

Can't grow a business by getting smaller.

2378 Other Employee Reviews for Lockheed Martin (View Most Recent)

Great people and work. Poor management.

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at Lockheed Martin as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Flexible work schedule (9/80)
    Working on an exciting project
    Nice and helpful people
    Virtual work available for full-time employees

I enjoyed working with everyone on my team. Everyone was laid-back and helpful. The technology was also exciting. They offer good learning resources (Books 24x7), and they have learning seminars on things like Air Traffic Control. These were fun to attend, and I learned a lot from them.

Cons

Pay below average
    Business is completely dependent on the federal budget. In IS&GS, especially in the DC area, I don't see this changing any time soon.
    Employment cuts mean that employees remaining could be forced to different work. Some software engineers had to become testers instead because of layoffs.

I wanted to work here full-time after being an intern. My software team lead was very interested in having me back, but my manager did not seem to have much interest in what I was doing. During the school year, I was kept on payroll. I ended up getting an offer for full-time employment after emailing my manager several times. This offer was not competitive with other offers I received, and Lockheed did not seem willing to negotiate. Management seemed to want to hire cheaper software engineers to replace the higher-paid ones that had been laid off. This did not make me feel good about my long-term prospects with the company.

Meh...

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great company for incoming college hires. You get to build your resume and experience (again, only if you're early in your career)

Cons

Lots of politics with upper management. VERY hard to get promoted. You basically have to threaten to leave the company in order for someone to consider you for a promotion to keep you. Lots of cuts happening across the business.

Treat your engineers better.

There are newer employer reviews for Lockheed Martin

Worked for Lockheed Martin? Contribute to the Community!