Lockheed Martin

There are newer employer reviews for Lockheed Martin

Outstanding, Best in the Industry

Current Employee - Business Development in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Business Development in Washington, DC

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent management at all levels. The company really lives out its beliefs: Do What's Right, Respect Others, Perform with Excellence. There are many career paths to take within Lockheed and no one is limited to a single path. Management will work with employees to shape and guide careers. The company supports employees and allows flexible work schedules. CEO Marilyn Hewson is an outstanding communicator, and keeps in touch with the worker-bees. Overall, an excellent place to work.

Cons

In big companies a lot of emphasis is put on winning bids, and high-fives are given to teams that win. However, a lot good work is also done on a losing effort. Professionals work really hard even when they lose, and their effort should be recognized and high-fives passed around.

Continue the open communications with employees about what's going on in this huge company....especially during downsizing. This really help when times get tough.

2603 Other Employee Reviews for Lockheed Martin (View Most Recent)

Left me hanging post-deployment

Former Employee - Technical Trainer in Fort Benning, GA
    Former Employee - Technical Trainer in Fort Benning, GA

I worked at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Hours and benefits okay, salary was sub-par for the work performed.

Cons

The company left me hanging after returning from a deployment to Afghanistan in 2009. I was assured that though the contract was ending, a position would be held for me at my location. The company never followed through, left me alone to make job arrangements - which included finding work with a competitor

Didn't have any issues with upper management - it was lower management that screwed me.

Good career springboard, but you'll eventually land in quicksand

Current Employee - Subcontract Administrator in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Subcontract Administrator in Washington, DC

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great for early careers when you want to have exposure to various functional areas; if you're able to do rotations you can acquire a robust set of skills. Lateral moves are much easier and if you're willing to re-locate you can progress nicely and have a long career here. Schedule options such as Flex 40 and 9/80 can add to work/life balance but are dependent on your business unit.

Cons

Progression is based on who you know, not what you know or true merit - many are under leveled due to inadequate funding on programs to support a higher level. Resources are only provided to the more successful and lucrative programs. The company is more geared towards engineers/tech folks and more functional workers may need to go outside to progress. If you have advanced degrees, not much funding is provided for additional training/certification unless required by the customer. Use of comp time varies from program to program - you can work 60-80 hr weeks and get nothing for it.

There needs to be a way to provide some basic benefits on different programs. It's amazing how an employee's perspective of the company can drastically shift with each program and in the different business areas. With such a large company there has to be a better way of determining which formulas work and which don't. Employees do not believe the LM Voice survey or any other efforts sincerely wish to change the culture and as individual contributor workloads increase with no tangible benefits, morale and loyalty to the corporation will decrease.

There are newer employer reviews for Lockheed Martin