LogicBlox

www.logicblox.com
There are newer employer reviews for LogicBlox

The company has a great vision but struggles to translate it into a realistic roadmap.

I have been working at LogicBlox

Pros

The company is building its own platform from bottom (database) to top (interesting applications). The potential is obvious, and there are lots of interesting problems to solve.

Cons

Strategy has not translated very well into a clear plan. Most employees operate in the dark. Application projects often fail due to changing scope or immature technology.

The company needs to pay more attention to setting context with employees, setting projects up to succeed. Pay more attention to culture, also -- management needs to respect employees more rather than trying to prove they are smarter than the employees.

6 Other Employee Reviews for LogicBlox (View Most Recent)

Great people, great flexibility, great vision

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at LogicBlox full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked at LogicBlox for almost 5 years, and have been a professional software engineer for 13 years.

LogicBlox is a special company to work for. We offer tough problems to solve, stunning colleagues to work with, and flexible working arrangements.

The work here is deep and fascinating enough to require and attract top-shelf talent both from industry and academia despite not being located in tech hot spots like Silicon Valley or NYC. We tackle big, difficult problems and insist on excellent engineering quality in our platform.

Our company is low drama, low politics, and high flexibility. We have a very flat organization (roughly 96% engineers, 4% G&A / management) with highly committed and down-to-earth management/team leads. We have trust in each other to be responsible stewards for the company, which is what allows us to have a a great remote working policy (half the company works remotely) and an unlimited vacation policy.

We have regular (probably 1 a week on average) talks open to the company either from staff, applicants or academic collaborators which run gamut from demos of ongoing work to internal design proposals to presentations of CS thesis material. Regardless of your background, if you work at LogicBlox you will (forcibly) learn new things all the time and be encouraged to do so.

Cons

For me there aren't cons. For those who prefer more hierarchical organizations, LogicBlox does not offer that. I agree with another reviewer who said that it is required to be comfortable with ambiguity and immature technology. To me that is a plus, because it means there is a lot of opportunity for new employees to have a major impact and try to pitch and implement their ideas.

Fun if you are doing platform development, but application development is horrible

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at LogicBlox full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you work on platform or application development, you'll get to write lots of new code.

Cons

The business is run by inexperienced academics and pie-in-the-sky dreamers. Application developers get no respect and are expected to create robust software based on a buggy, immature platform. Half the company was laid off in 2012, and they just laid off lots more people.

One reason app developers write so much new code is that the application projects usually fail and are thrown away -- no lessons are learned and carried forward, so if you stay long enough, app work feels like a never-ending treadmill.

There are newer employer reviews for LogicBlox