Long Beach City College

www.lbcc.edu

Top Administrators make almost 10 times as much as adjunct instructors....who do much of the work.

Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) Long Beach, CA

ProsWe teach well. We love our students.

ConsWhere do we start? There are NINE vice-presidents...NINE at a community college. They are well into the 6 figures. Why do we have that many? And during the recession, why are none of them eliminated to drive down costs? Why does tuition go up for the students? It sure is not because of adjunct professors. (See administrative bloat and shiny new buildings).

I want to be fair: tenure track profs are not wealthy (middle class)...but over half of the instructors are adjunct...meaning we are poor. We love our work, but this is no living wages. We are "freeway fliers" with other jobs.

How poor are we? We make one third the pay (plus we have no benefits) as tenure track profs (and some of adjuncts ARE, in fact Ph.D.s) for much of the same work. Again, that does not mean that tenure track are wealthy. I does mean that adjuncts are a lower tier, a lower caste as others doing much the same job.

If you are on tenure track, you did well and are also lucky. Do not demean or belittle your fellow instructors (most of you don't). But some of our administrators do. One of us was told that we had "no allegiance" at all to any part timers...even after educating here for over a decade. We are vital to our students; to some administrators and most trustees, NONE OF US MATTER.

Do not become an adjunct. In fact, do not become a professor, as most of us will become adjuncts. I know we often have little choice. But if you can, get out.

Adjunct instructors are not a "gap" in college education; we are now the majority. If we went away, this college (in fact, ANY college) would disintegrate. Only then would a living wage require the majority of college educators to call us back.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe majority of educators (adjuncts) are below the poverty line. If you care about education, and you care about your students, give us a living wage. If you want students to cough up more tuition, consider how many vice-presidents we REALLY need, and why the shiny new buildings are NOT for expanding classes. Oh, and stop cutting vocational programs.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Not bad

Supplemental Instruction Leader (Current Employee) Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Long Beach City College part-time for less than a year

Pros: It's a community college, so there's that, but still some… Cons: The facilities could be much better. I spent a lot time… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Adjunct Instructor

I have been working at Long Beach City College part-time

Pros: Parking is reasonable for staff. Cons: Horrible job! Power hungry administration. Students are the last… Advice to Senior Management: Listen to your employees. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Long Beach City College.

Worked for Long Beach City College? Contribute to the Community!