There are newer employer reviews for Longos

They make you work like youve never worked in your life with such a small time frame, that youre ready to explode!

Current Employee - Professional in Markham, ON (Canada)
Current Employee - Professional in Markham, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Longos

Pros

Great compensation, and great people to work with, managers are very open to talk to and reliable.

Cons

Hours are cut dramatically, and this forces you to work like a mule, and even so you dont get a chance to accomplish anything. Expectations are run too high and they are never going to be met with the lack of hours. I dont recommend it for people who want a stress free job. This job is extremely stressful and are meant for the young and restless. There is a discount for the store but you only get a discount at the end of the year and its a very small percentage of what you buy. For example if you spend around 500 for that year you get like 40 back on a card at the end of a year where you can buy groceries with it, which is barely anything at all.

Advice to Management

I suggest not cutting hours in departments that are needed; Hot Food, Deli, Bakery. Senior Management is forgetting that with the hours being cut so dramatically; customers are getting frustrated with the lack of customer service available and the complaints are tripling in volume. Shelves are remaining empty and showcases are looking worse day by day. If you are a full- timer, you have mostly nothing to worry about because the company has to provide you your hours, and if you are part- time, God be with you! Because I have seen part-timers that really need the hours to support their family but all they get in two weeks pay period is 3 maybe 4 hours!!!
           Having a person available just for customers would be a great asset to each department. That way customers will always be satisfied with the service available to them, while the store looks great and full and neat and tidy.
           Employee suggestions should run thick and deep toward senior management and not be brushed off the shoulder. If the senior management have the facts that the store sales or department sales are not showing that we need the extra hours and bodies; maybe because its due to the lack of customer service shown; customers are not coming back or are not buying as much as they used to because of this. I personally asked a few regular customers as to why I dont see them as frequently as i had seen them before. They replied to me in a low voice that they came here more often before because of the great customer service, and that they did not care if the prices were too high, and now that the customer service is not as great as it used to be they stopped coming so often. This concludes that customers will pay any price for the right service and that means so should the company -BOTTOM LINE-- if theirs service theirs money.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great First Job

Former Employee - Bakery Clerk in Vaughan, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Bakery Clerk in Vaughan, ON (Canada)

I worked at Longos part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I really loved working at Longos and I'm really glad it was my first job. There's a huge push for a family focused experience (for both the customers and the employees). You get compensated very well for good job performance.

Cons

I got over loaded with hours. As a high school student who asked for fewer hours to actually do school work, that was hard. Customers were very demanding and rude most of the time.

Advice to Management

Adhere to the restraints given by employees when they first apply.

2. Not the greatest

Former Employee - Cashier in Markham, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Markham, ON (Canada)

I worked at Longos part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I worked front end, a cashier, my coworkers were great..mainly high school students like me then some older ladies who has been there since the store opened. Got along great with all of them.

Cons

Management spends so much time socializing. There was a starbucks at my location (Markham, ON) and management would just sit around talking to customers. I get that they're trying to connect with their customers or whatever...but it doesn't really look good from and employees point of view. They just seemed lazy, not willing to help employees.

Advice to Management

Get off your butt, do something that actually contributes to the operation of the store.

There are newer employer reviews for Longos