There are newer employer reviews for Longwood Gardens

Limited advancement opportunities for gardeners

I have been working at Longwood Gardens

Pros

It's a beautiful place to work, I have incredible co-workers, and there are amazing horticulture displays. I think it's a great place to work if you're in upper management.

Cons

As a gardener, there is little opportunity for upward mobility, and surprisingly low pay. Many of the gardeners here have to work side jobs just to make ends meet. Considering that gardening here is very physically demanding, this can be very discouraging. Also, although the gardeners do an amazing job, they receive little recognition.

Advice to Management

Horticultural displays are the main reason people visit, so the organization should value those who create them. I would like to see the gap between the gardeners and upper management lessened.

reviews filtered by
  1. A great place to visit!

Former Employee - ----------------
    Former Employee - ----------------

I worked at Longwood Gardens full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Beautiful surroundings, fair pay and good benifits. Middle to lower management and workers of extremely high caliber! The employees (most) are what makes Longwood a great place to visit.

Cons

Upper management not qualified and not in touch with the day to day to the point of creating dangerous situations (lack of engineering displines). Way too much effort on show and very little on the nuts and bolts (physical plant) that are falling apart. "If you do not like it-there is the gate" attitude and the acceptance of "bullying" by managers, has seen alot of very qualified, creative and special talented empolyees leave.

Advice to Management

Get in touch with the physical part of the Gardens. Hire managers (departmant heads) that have the background, knowledge, interpersonal skills and the education to perform their duties correctly.

2. Fantastic place to do an internship

Current Employee - IPM Intern
    Current Employee - IPM Intern

I have been working at Longwood Gardens

Pros

I was there back in the 1990s so take that into consideration. The staff there are highly professional people who truly love what they do- and it shows. They are patient and extremely happy to teach interns who are willing to put in the effort to learn. You also have the opportunity to learn from other interns (including international students) interested in all areas of horticulture, take classes, go on field trips (set up by Longwood and on work days), and do numerous side jobs that become available. This place was truly incredible and I highly recommend it. It was definitely time well spent.

Cons

You aren't going to make any money here but the experience that you get and the opportunities to which an intenship here can lead make it all worthwhile.

Advice to Management

I think that the only thing to say is simply to keep up the good work. My experience here was extremely positive and I recommend this place to possible interns all of the time.