Longwood Gardens

Lower Level Managment needs to be replaced

Current Employee - VSA in Kennett Square, PA
Current Employee - VSA in Kennett Square, PA

I have been working at Longwood Gardens

Pros

The environment is amazing. The work is not hard and you get to make connections with the guests. It is the most relaxing job I have ever had.

Cons

The "boss" of the VSA's is over worked and it causes vast mismanagement. He has more than one department and this causes him to be virtually out of the inner workings of the employees

Having the VSA's split between information Center and Conservatory with a new manager for each one would help them all do their jobs more effectively. I get no leadership from management because they are not focused on the Conservatory VSA's

13 Other Employee Reviews for Longwood Gardens (View Most Recent)

Limited advancement opportunities for gardeners

I have been working at Longwood Gardens

Pros

It's a beautiful place to work, I have incredible co-workers, and there are amazing horticulture displays. I think it's a great place to work if you're in upper management.

Cons

As a gardener, there is little opportunity for upward mobility, and surprisingly low pay. Many of the gardeners here have to work side jobs just to make ends meet. Considering that gardening here is very physically demanding, this can be very discouraging. Also, although the gardeners do an amazing job, they receive little recognition.

Horticultural displays are the main reason people visit, so the organization should value those who create them. I would like to see the gap between the gardeners and upper management lessened.

A great place to visit!

Former Employee - ----------------
    Former Employee - ----------------

I worked at Longwood Gardens full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Beautiful surroundings, fair pay and good benifits. Middle to lower management and workers of extremely high caliber! The employees (most) are what makes Longwood a great place to visit.

Cons

Upper management not qualified and not in touch with the day to day to the point of creating dangerous situations (lack of engineering displines). Way too much effort on show and very little on the nuts and bolts (physical plant) that are falling apart. "If you do not like it-there is the gate" attitude and the acceptance of "bullying" by managers, has seen alot of very qualified, creative and special talented empolyees leave.

Get in touch with the physical part of the Gardens. Hire managers (departmant heads) that have the background, knowledge, interpersonal skills and the education to perform their duties correctly.

There are newer employer reviews for Longwood Gardens