Lord & Taylor

Wonderful

Current Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in Annapolis, MD
Current Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at Lord & Taylor

Pros

Love my coworkers, love my clients, management listens when I speak to them. Very important! Professionalism of associates and upper management is slowly improving. Working hard to create a professional atmosphere.

Cons

The salary could be higher but isn't that always the way? Bad bunch of sales people in the past but getting much better! Now if only we could have a better clientele.

244 Other Employee Reviews for Lord & Taylor (View Most Recent)

Great learning experience.

Former Employee - Human Resource Coordinator in Sterling Heights, MI
    Former Employee - Human Resource Coordinator in Sterling Heights, MI

I worked at Lord & Taylor

Pros

You definitely work with some great people. I felt like everyone was willing to help you learn about the store and the way they run things. Discount was a nice plus.

Cons

It's difficult to get everything done when you do not have enough associates on the floor. Need more managers too. Pay could be better.

Please support and invest in your management at the stores. ASMs work very hard. Get back on track with training.

Waste of time and unfair treatment.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Huntington, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Huntington, NY

I worked at Lord & Taylor part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice employee discount.. pay is decent for a first time worker

Cons

Managers left me unattended, on my own to a register my second day of working there and I felt very unprepared. Training was not adequate for everything that I needed to know on the job. I was only taught how to work the register system. I was not told my responsibilities beyond that. I was penalized for things that I didn't do correctly or neglected to do even though i was never taught how to do it or to even do it in the first place.

For example, I was not taught how to answer a phone call, transfer that call, close the register in it's entirety, re-ticket tag an item, pre-sell something for a customer, etc. There are so many things that I was expected to know even though it was my first week working there. In a couple of situations on my 3rd or 4th day of work, I had to call a manager to figure out a solution to a problem that a customer was having that I didn't know the answer to. They were generous and very helpful. But apparently my asking for help only backfired on me only to give them the impression that based on a few minor blunders that I was incapable of the job.

It may sound like an obvious task to do in retail, but coming from someone that's never worked in the field before, and only having been there a couple of days, I was not aware of what I had to do with the clothing on the racks, I was not aware that I was responsible for cleaning out the dressing room 50 feet away from my register. Luckily I had friendly coworkers to tell me what I was responsible for.However, that's not their responsibility to enlighten me on my own responsibilities. Why wasn't I properly told that in training?

The last night on my shift was hectic. I was told to clean up the 3 foot messy pile of clothing on my register, neaten up clothes in my department, (by a manager) clean out the dressing room, (by a coworker) and ofcourse tend to the customers. My shift ended at 10:15, and i had been there since 5pm. As exhausted as I was, I was determined to fulfill my tasks. The entire time, I was constantly running back and forth putting clothes away folding them, helping customers, clearing clothes out of the dressing room, etc.

It was almost 10pm and not everything was done because of the extensive line of customers I had to handle. Keep in mind, this is my 5th day on the job. Finally after handling all the customers for the night, I ran to the dressing room to make sure everything was cleaned out. As i'm taking a last look, they shut the lights off in the majority of the store. Most other cashiers at this point are closing the register and counting their change. I was in the dressing room blind as a bat in the pitch-dark unable to see if there was anything left in there. I walked out in the direction towards my register hoping I had cleared everything out. I proceeded to close my register, count the exact change, and bring the money and documents in the green booklet to the executive offices.

The next day I had a shift from 4pm-8pm. I get in exactly at 4pm, go straight to my register, determined to conquer any obstacle that could possibly come my way, and more confident in doing so now that it had been almost a week of hard work and lots of learning. About an hour and a half into my shift, I receive a call to go up to the executive offices and speak to a manager, only to be told that I was incapable of the job due to making an error closing down the register the night before, neglecting to clear out the dressing room completely, and that I had made too many mistakes. Not even a full week into working for them, and I was fired. The best part about this was that I was given in no way shape or form any kind of warning. Every time I was given help from a manager, they came running to my rescue as if it was no problem at all, and even told me to call again if I needed help with anything else. I never would have suspected that they had any type of a problem with me. I mean who would ever suspect that when you haven't even been working there longer than a week?

I think this speaks for itself in how lord and taylor treats new employees. Maybe it's different for other mall's or other training sessions, but I know I was not given a fair chance in proving what I was capable of. Had they given me another week, I would've been a pro at everything, and known how to handle any given situation, even though I wouldve learned most of it on my own, and NOT in training. For anyone looking to work for them, definitely have prior experience in retail under your belt because if you have any experience similar to mine in training, you will NOT be told how to do your job. You will only be told to DO it, and do it exactly right. God forbid you mess up more than once, and you will be fired, even if you've been working there less than a week and haven't even gotten a chance to learn the right way of doing things.

Treat your new employees like what they are. NEW to the business and system. Give them the support they need when they ask for help. Don't penalize them for not knowing things they weren't told in training. Give them a chance to prove themselves, don't just assume they aren't capable in the span of a week. Don't leave them unattended at a register responsible for maintaining an entire department your first, second, or third day of working there. Firing someone because of a few blunders in their first week of working for you is unfair and ridiculous. No one should be expected to have the experience of a professional and be perfect when you've been working there less than a week and have no prior experience in the field. Spend a day in our shoes, develop actual managing skills, and then maybe you'll deserve the title of a "manager".

There are newer employer reviews for Lord & Taylor