There are newer employer reviews for Los Alamos National Laboratory

I was a student intern

Former Employee - Research
Former Employee - Research

I worked at Los Alamos National Laboratory

Pros

The people there are brilliant and passionate. The lab is a one of a kind place to work. It is also located in an incredibly beautiful part of the country. Nature lovers paradise!

Cons

If you don't have a ph.d. you might get looked down upon in some of the research groups. This culture is prone to change.

Please remember that summer interns need your help. They can not complete their job if they are left unattended. Word.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great science but...

I have been working at Los Alamos National Laboratory

Pros

Great work/life balance. Leader in science endeavors. Surrounded with brilliant science minds. Beautiful setting on mesas at the foot of the jemez mountains.

Cons

Administrative red tape is everywhere. Too much training that impedes work progress. High labor overhead rates. In some areas, opportunities are lacking for mid-career professionals (i've been told that i'll advance when people retire). Intermittent hiring freezes have prevented younger folks from coming in so mid-career professionals can advance and manage others.

You have to make sure you keep the good people and get rid of the not so good people. Give us opportunities otherwise we'll leave to find them elsewhere.

2. Good place to work if you stay under the radar and work in a good group - it helps to like the outdoors, too.

Current Employee - Research Technologist I in Los Alamos, NM
    Current Employee - Research Technologist I in Los Alamos, NM

I have been working at Los Alamos National Laboratory

Pros

International reputation (a national lab looks good on your resume), and good compensation make LANL an attractive place to work. The northern New Mexico location is beautiful and has lots of opportunities for outdoor activities - there's a very good ski resort (Pajarito) only 5 miles away, for instance. There is a lot of variation in environments at the lab; some divisions and groups are much nicer to work in than others - I work in the Theoretical Division, in an excellent group. Choose carefully.
    I have also found my peers here to be a well-above-average bunch. Where I work at least, there is little to no 'deadwood'; everybody is at least competent, and usually exceptionally good, at their job. There is very little local office politics; most of that is higher up the food chain.

Cons

The tiny remote location won't appeal to some. Los Alamos is a small town of 15,000, and feels like a small town. Everything closes at 8, for instance. You will either find yourself driving to Santa Fe (~45 minutes) or Albuquerque (2 hours) for serious shopping/dining/entertainment, or you will live in Santa Fe and commute to work every day. The management is very bureaucratic, and lots of things that you will be required to do seem quite ridiculous - you will be required to wear an ID badge at all times that you must use to enter almost every building here, take numerous 'training' and 'retraining' courses (mostly on computer), attend quite a few meetings, etc.

Stop covering your asses and lead!

There are newer employer reviews for Los Alamos National Laboratory