There are newer employer reviews for Los Angeles USD

Love to Teach/Worst Time to Become a Teacher in LAUSD

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher  in  Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles USD

Pros

Great kids. Many work very hard in school despite what you hear about in the news.
Many hardworking families just trying to do their best in hard times.
Outstanding Teachers who try to teach under trying situations. On the days I work I almost always leave with a wonderful feeling - the children make it all worth it!

Cons

A union that keeps terrible teachers in their jobs and allows newly credentialed , excellent teachers to be laid off first. Staff, parents and students who are disrespectful towards everyone. Lack of a discipline plan - ill behaved students are coddled, moved around and are a safety hazard to themselves, other students and teachers.

Back up new teachers with a mentor. Respect Substitute Teacher authority - when there is a discipline problem back up the sub.

160 Other Employee Reviews for Los Angeles USD (View Most Recent)

LAUSD

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles USD

Pros

The students are great and depending on your principal, you can feel a sense of community and support. I feel rewarded by all the work I do.

Cons

LAUSD is a huge bureaucracy that does not have a sense of priorities. They don't invest in libraries and it was a fight to get a budget. The top layer bureaucracy is a mess and they are laying off many front line personnel.

The management needs to cut itself down. They should just leave education because most of them are jaded former educators who do not really care about students.

Huge district, huge mess

Former Employee - Teacher  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles USD

Pros

The largest school district in California means there many resources avaiable. It's all about finding the right school and the right fit for you.

Cons

Don't expect the school district to do much for you. It's so important to have good working relationships with your colleagues and administrators.

Get the budget under control. Stop spending money on administrative costs. Teachers are working overtime to compensate and it's not fair to them or the students.

There are newer employer reviews for Los Angeles USD

Worked for Los Angeles USD? Contribute to the Community!