Los Angeles USD

Love to Teach/Worst Time to Become a Teacher in LAUSD

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles USD

Pros

Great kids. Many work very hard in school despite what you hear about in the news.
Many hardworking families just trying to do their best in hard times.
Outstanding Teachers who try to teach under trying situations. On the days I work I almost always leave with a wonderful feeling - the children make it all worth it!

Cons

A union that keeps terrible teachers in their jobs and allows newly credentialed , excellent teachers to be laid off first. Staff, parents and students who are disrespectful towards everyone. Lack of a discipline plan - ill behaved students are coddled, moved around and are a safety hazard to themselves, other students and teachers.

Back up new teachers with a mentor. Respect Substitute Teacher authority - when there is a discipline problem back up the sub.

177 Other Employee Reviews for Los Angeles USD (View Most Recent)

LAUSD

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Los Angeles USD

Pros

The students are great and depending on your principal, you can feel a sense of community and support. I feel rewarded by all the work I do.

Cons

LAUSD is a huge bureaucracy that does not have a sense of priorities. They don't invest in libraries and it was a fight to get a budget. The top layer bureaucracy is a mess and they are laying off many front line personnel.

The management needs to cut itself down. They should just leave education because most of them are jaded former educators who do not really care about students.

Special Education Assistant

Current Employee - Special Education Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Special Education Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Los Angeles USD

Pros

Paid vacation and illness. Leave of absence for Professional Growth Study. Many Holidays off and time off to recoup.

Cons

Some teachers aren't that great or don't care so much (that's not to say there aren't some awesome ones there that don't love the kids because there are) and this can be disheartening. Also, if you are not on salary, like a teacher is, then you get time off without pay and it makes managing through off track time difficult. Also, it is hard now to work your way up to teaching positions as a paraprofessional to teacher due to all the recent cuts in staff.

More information that is shared with teachers should also be shared with paraprofessionals. We feel left out much of the time.

There are newer employer reviews for Los Angeles USD