No Systems In Place

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Louis Berger full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had a "private" office, but it was more like a jail cell - tiny space, high up window with a nice view of the fluorescent lights in the hallway. And this is a pro...read on.

Cons

Total disarray: Just as I hired on, the top execs ran off with millions of dollars in federal funds. Although LB avoided being totally blacklisted by the federal government, clients and potential clients ran for the doors. I found very few who were willing to take a risk, with the Black Death hanging over us.

Cutthroat environment: At one point when I was preparing a proposal, I found that another part of the organization was actively working to discredit and undermine my activity because it "might" interfere with their work (which was soon thereafter halted by a lawsuit - haha).

No organization: The employees have a saying: 5,000 employees, 5,000 companies. You are totally alone, with no support of any kind. Don't rely on your chain of command. If YOU can't make it happen, it won't happen. The one exception: the folks that made my proposals look nice (from a remote location) were great.

No organization, redux: My boss was 200 miles away. I could never get him on the phone and he didn't respond to email. IF he showed up at my location, it was for some Big Meeting and he rarely had more than 3 minutes to spend with me. His boss was 1500 miles away. Same deal.

Advice to Management

All of your self-serving, Big Smile, be-brave-and-carry-on is a total joke. No one, inside or out, believes any of it.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Zero stars

Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Northeast, NY
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Northeast, NY

I have been working at Louis Berger full-time

Pros

The best thing I can say about Berger is that they kept me employed through some lean years when a lot of engineers are out of work.

Cons

Where do I begin?... It's real easy to blast an employer so let me list some specifics. This is a company that cares very little about their employees. They work their people very hard--frequently without compensation for overtime. The turnover ratio is crazy and clients notice these things. Berger believes they can beat the competition by having the lowest overhead rate. 100% utilization is expected. If not, layoffs are on the way ("right sizing" in company lingo). Almost every project goes over budget forcing employees to work on their own time. They preach the importance of doing quality work but don't budget enough to do it.

Health insurance coverage is poor and premiums expensive. Recently Berger has stopped matching 401(k)s with cash and replaced it with company stock instead. No choice. Human Resources is awful. The company does not like to spend money on equipment or employee training--very cheap.

From reading the other reviews here I can see that my office is not any different from the others. There are much better places to work--even in this economy.

Advice to Management

Upper management says all the right things but it's hard to trust Berger execs. The company badly needs to change from the top down. Hire some top execs from your competitors and implement their recommendations.

Company's Ego is too big and unforgiving

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morristown, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morristown, NJ

I worked at Louis Berger full-time

Pros

Great people - some extremely hard working and talented.

Cons

Very political environmental, and too charged. Long hours, high expectations, and grueling work, often dealing with people who are abusive and out of touch. Major disconnect between offices. This company is not interested in its people - only the bottom line. President considers everyone part of the "1%". Sadly, only a few folks would fit in that category, he being one of them.

Advice to Management

Seriously need to take a step back and see what isn't working. Your turnover rate is ridiculous, and a serious waste of your time and resources. People are tired. Try rewarding more of them financially and focus on ways to boost the morale for everyone. Greed will take it's toll. Karma is funny thing, folks.