Louis Berger

www.louisberger.com

No Systems In Place

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

I had a "private" office, but it was more like a jail cell - tiny space, high up window with a nice view of the fluorescent lights in the hallway. And this is a pro...read on.

Cons

Total disarray: Just as I hired on, the top execs ran off with millions of dollars in federal funds. Although LB avoided being totally blacklisted by the federal government, clients and potential clients ran for the doors. I found very few who were willing to take a risk, with the Black Death hanging over us.

Cutthroat environment: At one point when I was preparing a proposal, I found that another part of the organization was actively working to discredit and undermine my activity because it "might" interfere with their work (which was soon thereafter halted by a lawsuit - haha).

No organization: The employees have a saying: 5,000 employees, 5,000 companies. You are totally alone, with no support of any kind. Don't rely on your chain of command. If YOU can't make it happen, it won't happen. The one exception: the folks that made my proposals look nice (from a remote location) were great.

No organization, redux: My boss was 200 miles away. I could never get him on the phone and he didn't respond to email. IF he showed up at my location, it was for some Big Meeting and he rarely had more than 3 minutes to spend with me. His boss was 1500 miles away. Same deal.

All of your self-serving, Big Smile, be-brave-and-carry-on is a total joke. No one, inside or out, believes any of it.

Other reviews for Louis Berger

Zero stars

Current Employee - Civil Engineer  in  Northeast, NY
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Northeast, NY

Pros

The best thing I can say about Berger is that they kept me employed through some lean years when a lot of engineers are out of work.

Cons

Where do I begin?... It's real easy to blast an employer so let me list some specifics. This is a company that cares very little about their employees. They work their people very hard--frequently without compensation for overtime. The turnover ratio is crazy and clients notice these things. Berger believes they can beat the competition by having the lowest overhead rate. 100% utilization is expected. If not, layoffs are on the way ("right sizing" in company lingo). Almost every project goes over budget forcing employees to work on their own time. They preach the importance of doing quality work but don't budget enough to do it.

Health insurance coverage is poor and premiums expensive. Recently Berger has stopped matching 401(k)s with cash and replaced it with company stock instead. No choice. Human Resources is awful. The company does not like to spend money on equipment or employee training--very cheap.

From reading the other reviews here I can see that my office is not any different from the others. There are much better places to work--even in this economy.

Upper management says all the right things but it's hard to trust Berger execs. The company badly needs to change from the top down. Hire some top execs from your competitors and implement their recommendations.

Worst Company to work for

Former Employee - Manager  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Manager in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Good central location. Nice restaurants nearby!

Cons

Unethical and Rude executives, no upward movements!
    Low Pay. Sr Management treat employees like slaves, wants them to work 7am to 7pm everyday.
    Low work ethics - no training provided. Gets work through political connections and does not deliver. Dissatisfied clients.

Pay better, treat people as equals. Improve employee morals.

There are newer employer reviews for Louis Berger.

Worked for Louis Berger? Contribute to the Community!