Love's Country Stores

Average Technical Support Job - Play by the rules and you will do fine

Current Employee - Helpdesk/Support in Oklahoma City, OK
Current Employee - Helpdesk/Support in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Love's Country Stores

Pros

Salaried employees get "Loves Shares" which you get to cash out at 7 years of employment - on Average worth of that is about $30,000. Great people (co-workers)

Cons

Salaries are average. Management is lackluster at best and most of the time is only out for themselves. Corporate office is run very much like a "mom and pop shop". Its more about who you know than who you are. Bonuses are chosen arbitrarily based on how much your manager likes you personally.

Treat employees fairly - be aware that they have a life and are not always able to devote their existence to the company 24/7. Training is key! Provide some training to your employees. Keep an eye on the managers under you...they tend to throw employees under the bus to get some credit for themselves.

93 Other Employee Reviews for Love's Country Stores (View Most Recent)

Bait and Switch

Former Employee - Manager in Amarillo, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Amarillo, TX

I worked at Love's Country Stores

Pros

Good benefits package.... 4 day work week. If I hadn't got a better job offer, I probably would have stayed. Tom Love seemed like a nice man.

Cons

The training was ridiculous. I think whoever put together the computer based training didn't like using spell check. My District Manager seemed to show up once every 6 weeks despite living within 10 miles of the store and his visits were meaningless. This is the guy that is supposed to be guiding my career there. I was told I would work an occasional night or weekend. That quickly turned into all nights and every weekend. I think most of the crew members have some sort of criminal record and truckers aren't too delightful to work with. Overall, it is a horrible environment that is perpetuated by poor recruiting. They seem to believe that they can only attract a very low level of employee and are satisfied with that. It is just lazy recruiting. Finally, when I left, it was like pulling teeth to get my last two paychecks.

Put some pride into your training programs and actually look at them before you roll them out to the company. Get more self esteem and believe you can hire a higher quality crew member. Perhaps raising their pay to above minimum would pay off with fewer cash shortages and less inventory shrinkage? It is very easy for a cashier to lose hundreds of dollars on a shift. Are you going to trust that job to someone with a criminal record and a GED? Currently, the answer is YES!

Employee turn over was 300% and growing.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Cheyenne, WY
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Cheyenne, WY

I worked at Love's Country Stores

Pros

There are many nice stores in the Love's company. Not every location has as many issues at the store I was hired on to work for.

Cons

Management up the ladder all the way to the regional level was turning over very quickly. The General Manager at my store was stealing and there were major problems with the other managers that followed. Within a year there were 5 different General Managers and the cashier turnover was 300% and climbing. Employees had drug issues and staffing was a problem. Truck stops across the highway were paying $1 more an hour and would quickly recruit any positive addition to the team.

Truck stops are exhausting to manage because of the round the clock attention the store needs as well as the volume of product sold. Employee turnover and the quality of people being hired can also make management difficult. General Managers and Assistant Managers need better training, schedules, and pay.

There are newer employer reviews for Love's Country Stores