Lovesac

www.lovesac.com

What an incredibly lucky find...

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

I have been with Lovesac for a little over 4 years. Aside from the amazingly innovative product line and the compelling vision and culture of this organization, Lovesac offers you an opportunity to DO SOMETHING. Large or small, anything and everything matters here. It could be offering an idea for floor sets, recommending a new operational tool, or reinventing the entire sales process...not to mention what we are able to do day-to-day to help people. We help people. I can't explain how rewarding being a part of this company has been. It's a hard job but more than worth it. Immense growth/career opportunities. Clear, organic communication from the top down. What other company do you know that has a CEO who blocks out 6+ hours of their week to talk with retail managers on conference calls to discuss their business? If interacting with people, uncovering solutions when issues and challenges present themselves, and motivating others to perform to their highest potential is of any interest, Lovesac is something you want to be a part of. We're building something here.

Cons

There are not many cons to this company however with its continuous evolution/development and rapid growth there is little time to adjust . You must be able to adapt and embrace change. Unless it is visible/obvious you are struggling it is up to you to raise your hand and ask for help. You have to remember, everything is what YOU make of it.

Keep supporting us. We are growing and evolving and we need it.

Other reviews for Lovesac

A unique retail experience that changed my life...and my views on furniture.

Former Employee - Manager  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

I will never forget my time at Lovesac. It was such a unique company to be apart of for 2 years. I had many opportunities to collaborate business plans and ideas with the CEO, founder, and HQ team--they even gave me their personal cell phone numbers! Lovesac intrigued me from my first interview. Each employee (part-time up the ladder to the director of retail stores) was so passionate about the company. I worked for 4 other big retailers before my time at Lovesac--however, Lovesac changed every negative opinion I previously had about retail management. The founder, CEO, and HQ team gave me the opportunity to manage my stores with "common sense and good taste" among many other unique core values and company best practices. I never felt micro-managed and I was never overwhelmed with unnecessary "busy work" projects. My colleagues were all dedicated and hard working go-getters that inspired me to become better. Every market manager and manger was an entrepreneur. Lovesac is a team of extremely talented, driven, and passionate employees. The product...well, stop into any Lovesac store and I'm sure one of the above mentioned employees will demonstrate it much better than my words could explain. Trust me...it's amazing and comfy!

Cons

With such an amazing product...rapid growth is inevitable. The con in that situation is that it could lead to a disconnect between the upper-management and retail management on the front lines of the business. However, Lovesac has an amazing CEO and founder who are extremely involved in every aspect of their business and I honestly doubt they would permit that to happen.

As you grow, continue to talk frequently to your colleagues in other locations and reach out to everyone from seasonal employees to regional directors. Remember that great business ideas are generated from all employees in a company--not just senior managers. Also, continue to lead by example everyday. One of the many things I loved about Lovesac was that the founder and CEO and HQ team came to the stores and worked on the sales floor with customers-- Keep doing that.

"We're a young company" stops being an excuse after 10+ years...

Pros

Pay is decent for retail.

If you keep your head down and sell well, they'll keep you around.

Prove you're halfway decent at a focused job role and you'll have the opportunity to take it on.

There are some actual really good hard working interesting people in retail and you can have a blast if you ignore the abuse by HQ.

Cons

HQ legitimately has no idea what is going on at the front lines. In the past, I've heard the excuse "we're a growing company, there are bound to be mistakes". This is my fifth year seeing the same mistakes over and over with no sign of improving. Company's been around since '98, first store in '01, filed for bankruptcy and restructured in '06. So, at minimum, HQ has had 7 years to figure out these problems. Things like "send customers tracking numbers".

Every year there is a shortage of best-selling products. Corporate doesn't buy enough material to keep making the same best-selling products year-after-year, so there's always a couple of times a year where you face this problem.

When something is discontinued or backordered because it's oversold, retail is given unbelievably short notice (a day or two most times), and bears all the brunt of customer complaints and returns as a result.

Constantly changing, never improving approach to policy. New rules rolled out at least once a week with no notice.

When you need a simple answer or solution from HQ, you're berated for asking or lectured on how it should have been done right the first time instead of given actual advice, answers, or options.

No idea how to define or measure roles. An "Operations Lead" position is held accountable for inventory but their job success is measured in credit card sales.

The solutions that HQ sees to its problems are things like "let's have another conference call!" (Store managers have to be on at least 3 calls per week).

No joke, we just recently rolled out a new sales tracking program that takes all of the automatically generated crucial data about sales, goals, etc and replaces them all with hand-written busy work that gives you a fraction of the information you used to be able to see. Welcome to the 90s!

There's been a lot of talk from HQ about selling this company, though we at retail haven't heard any solid details. I would be willing to bet that a lot of the outward "successes" are being overplayed and the failures underplayed in an effort to appear like its structure actually works or makes sense -- when in reality it's a company based around a genitalia pun, held together by duct tape and dreams. I give it another two years tops.

You're no longer a small/young company. Put your big boy pants on and solve your own problems.

There are newer employer reviews for Lovesac.

Worked for Lovesac? Contribute to the Community!