lowe's department manager

Current Employee - Department Manager in Charlotte, NC
Current Employee - Department Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

great place to work. great benefits.

Cons

corporate scheduling is horrid. scheduling could easily be changed without causing loss of profitability.

Advice to Management

work in retal before you head off to corporate office. most seem to be out of the realities of retail

Other Employee Reviews for Lowe's

1. Good pace to work, as long as you are comfortable with customer first.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Lowe's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Managment is very easy an open to talking to you about your issues, and in my experience most customers are nicer than at other jobs. People are actually open to listening to you and your ideas, vs them just walking in and grabbing what they want. The company culture is forward looking rather than grasping to an already gone past. And there is a drive to improve where things are lacking and not totally from a bussiness sense, but more from a total all encompansing sense.

Cons

Managers have a tendency to disapear wether there is work to be done or not. Makes it quite difficult to find help when you need help. Most employees are not fully cross trained, and don't really care to be, while I understand why the intent is to focus on your own station things run smoother when all work together.

Advice to Management

Department managers should stick to their departments, not running around to do what ever it is they do when you can't find them.

2. Great stores. Not so great HQ.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary, benefits, 401k and stock program, bonus up to 30% + extra award bonuses possible.

Cons

Crazy rotation for schedule needs more consistency, huge disconnect between HQ and the stores. They spend who knows how much money making plannograms, which we then have to redesign completely at the stores. The 30k/year process worker at HQ makes up new programs with no knowledge of how it would actually work in stores, and then gives out orders on the company forum like they are a SVP. Something is seriously wrong with the culture there. The stores are great though.

Advice to Management

It's seriously time to rein in your CSC employees a bit. A war is brewing between the stores and the CSC, fueled by connections. We're doing our part as store mgmt to calm our employees down. Now its your turn.