There are newer employer reviews for Lowe's

Not sure; haven't been there long.

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in League City, TX
Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in League City, TX

I have been working at Lowe's

Pros

Pays better than others. Customers are fun to work with. Most customers and coworkers are very pleasant people.

Cons

They cut hours when business decreases, and we never know whether we'll be scheduled for the number of hours for which we were hired or whether we'll be allowed to work the hours for which we were scheduled. It's very stressful when you are trying to make a basic living.

It's stressful to never know whether we'll be scheduled the full number of hours for which we were hired or whether we'll be allowed to work the hours for which we are scheduled. I hear that several people are looking for work elsewhere because they can't rely on their wages at Lowe's.

4349 Other Employee Reviews for Lowe's (View Most Recent)

Great Company / Lots of sacrifice.

Former Employee - Sales in Hot Springs, AR
    Former Employee - Sales in Hot Springs, AR

I worked at Lowe's

Pros

I worked for Lowe's Home Improvement for years. I was hired in as sales and I left as a sales. I encountered good management who shared in the sames values and beliefs as their mission statement exclaims. Good training courses, HR support, benefits and salary. The company as a whole is a great company for single people.

Cons

In the years that I was employed I went through LOTS of store managers as well as department managers. Be prepared to work in hostile conditions. Definitely not a family friendly atmosphere would not want my grown children to work there. I would compare it to a payton place, ran by pimps. Long hours. No real support from management. Must be self motivated and have since of pride in your own ability or you will not survive morale there.

Keep a closer eye on the goings on in your stores. If you delegate, follow up to make sure the tasks are handled correctly.

Lowe's: A great place for the uneducated, but not the place for the educated.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Lowe's

Pros

For a person with no education beyond high school there are opportunites that may not be found anywhere else. A individual with no education can start out as a shift worker and move up within the organization. They can even reach the level of store manager. Not many do. Most of the store managers have a college degrees and many have masters degrees. I am not trying to discourage someone from trying to reach this goal if they do not have a degree, I am just saying that it would be tough since you are competing against college graduates. This company is also a great resume builder.

Cons

Long Hours. You are scheduled to work a 55 hour week . More than likely you will be working a 70+ hour week. The pay scale is also low in comparison to other retailers. You also have to realize than you are expendable. When you accept your position the company is already training someone to take your place when you quit. There is a lot of turnover in this position with this company. You also have to be willing to work in an enviroment that offers little praise from the executive management team. There are e-mails of praise but the e-mails are mass e-mails with no personal input.

The best advice that I can provide the seniour management team is to priase your staff for there accomplishements. It will go along ways. The structure of the organization has the executive managment team only looking at the negative within the stores and building off the positives.

There are newer employer reviews for Lowe's