There are newer employer reviews for Lowe's

Statement: Terrible work environment, terrible management

Former Employee - Cashier in Easton, PA
Former Employee - Cashier in Easton, PA

I worked at Lowe's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

• It was a job. It paid the bills
• Met a few cool people that were fellow co-workers
• Employee Discount
• Can wear jeans and sneakers to work

Cons

• They worked me to the bone. I wanted full-time but they kept me as part-time, giving me 39 hours per week just so that I couldn’t have benefits or vacation.
• They are open on Easter which is ridiculous. I flat out told my manager that if he scheduled me I wasn’t coming in.
• Management is not approachable (at least in the Easton PA store). They sigh and give dirty looks when you try to ask anything.
• As a cashier, I have to call for coverage when I have to use the restroom. A few times, it took them 30+ minutes to send me coverage
• They made front end cashiers such as myself clean at the end of the night. We got stuck cleaning bathrooms and toilets. GROSS! If I wanted to clean toilets, I would have been a janitor. That wasn’t in my job description.
• They never let you out on time. They expect you to stay late after you’ve worked 8-9 hours.
• Discount was only 10% for employees when most companies offer 20%
• Concrete floor, which hurts your feet when you have to stand at register all day

Advice to Management

• Care a little less about making money and more about your employees. You expect employees to be loyal to the company, yet don’t give the same in return.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

NEEDS IMPROVEMENT

Current Employee - Customer Service III in Lexington, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service III in Lexington, NC

I have been working at Lowe's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Generally decent good people shop here, opportunity to meet diverse group of people, gives older applicants a chance to be hired,

Cons

Growth not based on work commitment but how one is friendly with superior, when an employee needs help they run in the other direction, management open to hear only positive, never any instructor learning its all e-learning/testing, employees feel threatened in some positions and will not properly, fully train adequately, all that's expected is not compensated and paid well, when at a register standing for hours its tough on the body.

Advice to Management

Get better management skills. You can't have favorites when assigning work/schedules. Do not give your friends the opportunity for growth and leave the ethical hard working people at the bottom. Get a dictionary, look up the word fair and practice it. Train properly.

2. Lowe's work schedules and environment

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at Lowe's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lowe's is an excellent retailer in terms of store layout, website and consumer pricing.

Cons

The schedule of working hours, especially for store management is unhealthy. It consists of rolling shift changes over a 28 day period with start times and days off constantly changing. This is known by the National Institutes of Health to be a health hazard for cardiac illness and for sleep-deprivation disorders, not to mention the inability to schedule education and family needs. In short they own your time and energy. Managers may treat employees like wage slaves rather than respected co-workers.This may depend on the Store Manager. Regional Manager seemed to have a take no prisoners domineering attitude.

Advice to Management

Give people the respect they deserve. Adjust shift work to change hours no less than three weeks a rotation so they can adjust. The same days off each week would be a great help to students and busy families.Iin short treat employees properly and watch their productivity go up. Otherwise you have stulified and angry employees, which most of the employees I know already are.